Italy: Capri AND Ischia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it wise to do BOTH of these islands, or will one give us the flavor? We would spend only 1 night on each island, travelling from Naples to Ischia, to Capri, and then back to the mainland (Positano or Sorrento, I think). If we DON'T plan to use the thermal baths on Ischia, should we still go?

For hotels on Ischia, we are looking at Hermitage and Terme Felix, both in Porto. On Capri, we are looking at Luna and Mamela, both in Capri Town. Having a pool at the hotel is a priority--and a pool (and sun loungers) to fit more than 2 guests! Being able to walk to town/restaurants is also important, as is access to public transportation (particularly the hydrofoil/ferry). We just plan to stroll and relax on Ischia, maybe take the chairlift and visit the Blue Grotto on Capri.

So, is it worth the effort to visit both? I know it's personal opinion, but I'm asking anyway. BTW, we don't speak much German (husband has 3 years of high-school German) and NO Italian (although we're signing up for a beginners class at our local community college), so is Ischia a mistake for us?
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:40 AM

IMO, with only one night on each island, it is more trouble to do both than the rewards may yeild.

Consider travelling time: neither is all that easy to get to. I would choose one or the other, but certainly not both.

Two nights on Capri would be my choice.

I'm sorry I can't help with hotels.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:41 AM

AAAARGH. Too many typos; I forgot to preview. So sorry.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, tuscanlife. From what I've researched, it seems to be only a 40-minute ferry from Naples Beverello to Ischia Porto, and then a 60-minute ferry to Capri, as well as another 60-minutes back to the mainland. Do you think that's too much time? (I just spent about 6 hours on slow ferries going between Spain and Morocco, so it seems particularly quick to me!) But you did answer my question--to you, it's not worth the transit time to visit both, so you recommend just seeing Capri. (I have trouble with the pronunciation of Ischia anyway!)
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 12:40 AM

Hi Fluff - If I were you I'd stay both nights on Capri - and just day-trip to Ischia if you want to see it.

LMP run a hydrofoil service leaving Capri at 09.45. The return leaves Ischia at 16.20

http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 03:59 AM

I just spent a week on Ischia & have been to Capri for a week twice before. I love both and they are quite different; but with only 2 nights, I'd agree with the other posters & say spend 2 nights on Capri. As Steve said, there is a direct link to Capri from Naples, you don't have to go via Ischia. There is also a direct link between Sorrento & Capri.