Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy, cancelled honeymoon, need to use ticket soon!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 01:01 PM
Elizabeth

This is my second post, I cannot seem to find the first (or any subsequent replies!) I have a ticket from a cancelled wedding that is expiring, and I forgot all of the original plans booked for the honeymoon before. <BR> <BR>This time, I only have 7-8 actual days in Italy. I have to travel to Italy 11/17 (arrive 11/18) through 11/25 (fly back that day). <BR> <BR>I am searching for a simple , fun itinerary that is not exhausting. I would like to go where weather is not bad if possible. <BR> <BR>Do you experts have advice on an itinerary? I want to stay in moderate to upscale lodgings. <BR> <BR>Any advice on trip route (like what airport to fly in and out of), lodgings, things to see would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 04:28 PM
Susan

Elizabeth, I think I remember your previous post. If you are travelling by yourself and only have 7-8 days I'd advise staying in cities, as you'd have more to see in a compact area. Personally I'd recommend Venice and Florence. Have you travelled to Italy before or do you have anything in particular you want to see? <BR> <BR>I found flying into and out of the Bologna airport very easy to do and you can take the train to Venice and Florence from there. You can do a search for lodging on both cities and find some good information. I can't speak to the weather in these parts during November, though. Good luck and have fun!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:02 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Hello Elizabeth, Let me see--Italy in November--7 nites--looking to raise your spirits. That's easy. Go to Rome and the Amalfi coast, staying in Positano. Good luck !

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Linda

Bob, I've been researching an Italy trip next year and have kind of decided against Amalfi coast, simply because we are going in November. It's my impression that most hotels and restaurants close for the season about Nov. 1st. Am I wrong? I also think that some of the beauty of the coast (the flowers and lemon trees) will be minimized because of the time of year. Am I wrong on either or both counts? I really value your opinion on this one. Would love to do Amalfi, but we're thinking of going elsewhere. What do you recommend?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:25 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Linda, Your point is valid, but if you have to go in Novem. then my thought is to get you south for better weather. It is the rainiest month in most of Italy and it can be chilly from Rome north. Another good thought is Taormina,Sicily. <BR>I found it as spectacular as the Amalfi coast and even better weather.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:46 AM
Elizabeth

Thanks to all for ideas. I went to Italy during the old "graduate from college do Europe via backpack" trip 15 years ago. I have been back to Paris for a week, but that is it since then. <BR> <BR>Bob, is Sicily a safe place (particularly if I end up travelling solo?) Would I then fly in to Naples? Or, if I do Rome, is the Amlfi coast a side trip that I can do without having to drive by myself? <BR> <BR>Susan: I am not an art freak but can appreciate it in doses. I would really like to travel wine country and eat all day! Unfortunately, I have to go at that time of year, and I am under the impression that Tuscany would not be that great weatherwise. <BR> <BR>Thanks!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:24 AM
K

Elizabeth, <BR>If you're worried about bad weather, both Florence and Rome offer a lot of indoor attractions - museums, shops, the Vatican and the Duomo, etc. From those two cities if the weather turns out to be nice there are excellent day trips that you could do comfortably by yourself. From Florence you can catch a city bus for a 20 minute ride to Fiesole. A darling little hill town overlooking olive groves and the city of Florence. Your hotel should be able to help you arrange day trips from Rome with English speaking tour operators to sites such as Pompeii, Sorrento, Capri. Have a beautiful trip and stay safe.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:56 AM
Carol

Elizabeth- <BR>I agree that south is better as far as weather, but my husband and I went to Florence in chilly overcast February one year and actually loved it. You can really appreciate the food which is a bit heavy during the summer heat -like the famous steak and pomodoro (tomato) soup and their wonderful rich hot chocolate. There are definitely less crowds then, (more bargaining power at the leather market) and much of the enjoyment is inside anyway, roaming around to see David and another museum full of beautiful statues as well as the Uffizzi. Take a cooking class or wine class for fun and meet other folks! The huge inside food market is amazing to roam around in. Train in to town and it takes you right to the heart of the city - stay right in the center of things. I think you have lots of options and will enjoy yourself either north or south of Rome. Have fun!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 10:11 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sicily is as safe as any other part of Italy. Taormina is a very up-scale resort in a spectacular setting on the coast with Mt. Etna in the bckground. <BR>I would train to Taormina. <BR> <BR>If traveling alone, I would train to Naples from Rome and then have your hotel send a driver for you. It would add about $100 to Positano but probably worth it compared to the local train line and then a bus. The weather tends to set my mood when on vacation.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 10:59 AM
Elizabeth

More great input, much appreciated. I have to make some decisions! I hope I don't find problems getting the flights I need after all of this (by waiting until now)! Thanks so much to all.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Linda

Understand about the weather. But then, I never let weather bother me much--we decided last night that we're probably taking a trip to London in January--fantastic rates! What I am concerned with is losing the flavor of Amalfi and Capri. It is so glorious eating your breakfast on a patio overlooking the Med, or to see the orange and lemon trees in full fruit, along with all the beautiful flowers. And to feel that cool breeze off the Med on a warm day. Those are the things I'd miss by going in November. I'm also concerned with my ability to find a decent hotel that's open, and a nice selection of restaurants. I think that's why we decided to go north. We can see the Uffizi even if it's raining outside. Now, we have to decide if we're going to go to Tuscany or not. I'm afraid the "flavor" of Tuscany will be lost in the rain too. Your thoughts on this one?

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 12:09 PM
Elizabeth

I agree with you on the weather. I lived in London ( last semester in college, years ago). You could go there anytime and have a great trip-nice weather is a true added bonus, and not really expected in general. But with Italy, certain places like Tuscany, the coasts, I don't know how those areas could truly shine at certain times of year. London is so cool...I got hooked there on these cookies called McVities (chocolate covered homewheat cookies). To this day, I have friends bring them back for me! Have a blast!