Italy: By land or sea?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are going to Italy for the first time in the summer of 2010 to celebrate her 60th BD ( I'm 53). We're starting to research our trip and have a basic question? Should 2 fairly fit and active females tour Italy by boat or land tour? Would land tours require endless hours on a bus ? If yes, is the scenery worth the time spent on the bus? Any suggestions would be most welcomed!
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM

Well, most of the places you will want to see in Italy are not ON the sea. So a cruise would involved long hours on bus or train getting from the tour ports into the cities or countryside you want to see.

And you're right - a bus tour is long hours on a bus.

Why not just do it yourself by train? Then you get what YOU want (not what some tour packager can get a good deal on).
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 03:57 PM

There's a lot of missing information in your request. What boat tours of Italy are you thinking about.

Regarding endless hours on a bus it would depend on the tour. What tour/tour company are you looking at.

Is the scenery worth the time on the bus - again - what tour and where in Italy. Most buses travel on highways so I think that pretty much answers your question on scenery. Tour buses usually are not able to go to small towns/villages because of the size of the bus.

Most responders on this board would tell you to do an independent trip to Italy rather than a tour. That way you will avoid long bus journeys and choose the scenery and places that appeal to you. Italy is so easy to see w/o a tour.
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 06:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unless you've found a unique tour of Italy by boat, most cruises only dock for a day (or two at the most). By the time you've made your way off the ship and into the city, you only have a few hours before you have to start returning to the ship. I would be less concerned about how much time I'd be spending on the bus/train but rather how little time I'd be spending in the actual destination cities/towns.

Most people here will encourage you to plan your own trip. You can always book guided day tours of your destination cities or join one-day bus tours from the cities to the countryside.
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 03:27 AM

Hi Mt - Those who visit Italy by cruise ship really don't 'see' Italy IMO. All they get are a few photo opportunities and a rushed snapshot of a few places - Rome, Florence, the Bay of Naples ...

If you really want to see Italy, go by land.

JMHO ...

Steve
Old Jul 7th, 2009, 04:22 AM

I agree with everyone else who has responded. Cruises are at best fly buy visits of overcrowded ports. You will dine on banquet food and be hostage at night to standard cruise ship activities.

You will miss seeing the cities at their best (after daytrippers leave), you will miss experiencing the unique cuisines of the area, the local wines, the pleasure of turning a corner and walking into a local festival, street market or parade.

You will not see Italy, you will barely skim the surface.

Plan your own trip, travel by train and make your vacation your own, not one filled with overpriced excursions and shopping trips.