Italy: Best way to get from Rome Airport down to Amalfi Coast

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2022, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I understand driving is not a great idea. Will be staying in Positano in April. TIA.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 09:48 AM

I used a car service from FCO to the Amalfi Coast area. From my 2015 trip report, “After getting at least half a dozen quotes from different agencies, I chose Sorrento Cars/Leonardo Travel, www.sorrentocars.com, to get me from Fiumicino to Sorrento (€300), Sorrento to Amalfi (€70), and Amalfi to Paestum (€100). Ugo answered all of my emails quickly and his rates were the least expensive for each leg of the journey. His drivers were always early and were careful and courteous.”
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 10:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If your trip is anytime around Easter Week, and you decide to hire a driver, I'd book this transfer ASAP. If you're staying in a hotel in Positano, they may also have recommendations for a driver.
Old Mar 24th, 2022, 02:43 PM

You could take a domestic flight from Rome to Naples. (you are at the airport anyway). There is a bus at Naples airport that goes direct to Sorrento, you could then take a car and driver from Sorrento to Positano.
Old Mar 25th, 2022, 12:08 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
FCO Express runs a bus from FCO to Naples at 8am,10:30am,2:55pm,4:55pm,8:55pm (about 30€ per person one way).

https://www.fiumicinoexpress.com/?lang=en

There are a couple of bus companies that run from FCO to Salerno. They just have a couple of runs per day so times might not be convenient.

You could take the Leonardo from FCO to Roma Termini and then take a fast train to Salerno. Have a driver pick you up there and take you the rest of the way. Italo has a nonstop at 10:40 while their other trains make a stop in Naples. All Trenitalia trains make a stop in Naples.

https://www.italotreno.it/en/destinations-timetable

https://www.trenitalia.com/

You could also catch a bus or ferry from Salerno. I find the buses much less crowded between Salerno/Amalfi than on the other end from Sorrento/Amalfi (Amalfi is the change place for both directions). There are also ferries, but they don't put into Positano if the weather is bad or the sea is rough.

FWIW - Taxis have a set fee from Naples to towns on the coast. Because of that, most private services will have similar prices between Naples and the coast.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 02:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you don't want to spend a fortune getting to Positano then take a train to Naples from Rome. Once in the station in Naples, follow the signs for the Circumvesuviana line. This is a commuter train that will take you to Sorrento. From Sorrento you could take a SITA bus to Positano or a cab from Sorrento station. This may take longer than a car which should take 3 and a half to 4 hours depending on traffic.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 09:08 AM

if you’re energetic and the weather is good, I would take the train to Salerno and transfer to a ferry. The bus may or may not be crowded but it is definitely a twisty ride.

One way to moderate the expense of a private driver from Rome, which could easily cost €400 or more, is to take the train to Naples and then get a private driver. We took one last fall from Atrani to Naples which cost us €90. Of course, that does put the pressure on having a good sense of the time of arrival, but I imagine that the companies are aware of this.
Old Mar 26th, 2022, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you've seen about every option. The one step hire a driver from airport to eventual destination has the fewest points of failure, the least stress, but the highest cost. All the other possibilities have multiple steps, multiple points where a delay at one step means further failures to connect along the way like falling dominoes. What if you miss a connection? What if the ferry isn't running? What if there is a strike of one modality or another?

I am risk-averse myself, so you can guess what I recommend.