Italy - August vs. October?

Jul 11th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Beth Anderson

Italy - August vs. October?

Hi all,

I have been making plans to go to Italy in early-mid September, but now I find that I may be taking on a new job by mid August.

So, I find myself trying to weigh going over prior to starting the new one (taking a week or so off in between) or asking for time off once I have been there a few months & things have settled down.

September seems like the perfect time - a little cooler but still sunny & warm, kids back in school, probably less crowded, a little cheaper than August, etc. But I don't now know if I will be able to swing it that soon, once I start this job.

Given that I plan to limit myself to northern Italy - which is better - August or October, in your opinion? Would you say the Lakes might not be a place to go, in October? I want to go to either the Lakes or Cinque Terre, but probably can't fit in both timewise.

I also plan to visit Venice and Florence, spend a couple of days in Tuscany and will likely leave Rome for another trip entirely. I imagine October is a big harvesting time for the wineries, how is it to visit then?

I am interested in festivals, wineries, hiking, museums, among many other things. I will also possibly be traveling alone.

Thanks for your help - any suggestions would be wonderful!

Beth

Jul 11th, 2000, 07:16 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Beth, You have to decide your own
priorities, but I would not suggest
August for the places you mention.
Do 4 destinations. The Lakes, Tuscany,
Cinque terre, Venice. That makes a
great 2 week itinerary. Fly into and
out of Venice or Milan. Good luck.
Holler if you need help.

Jul 11th, 2000, 07:19 AM
michael

Beth... Italy is always beautiful. I was there last summer in August....be careful a lot of things are closed in August. It is a heavy vacation period in Europe... and stores/restaurants close and the lake region becomes even more crowded.

Jul 11th, 2000, 07:22 AM
howard

Here's a strong vote for October for two important reasons--less crowded, not hot! (It'll also give you more time to plan your trip?)

Jul 11th, 2000, 07:58 AM
McH

Beth
Just an idea: why not prevent your new boss of your vacation for October as part of your initial arrangements for your new job? If they are interested in having you in their team, they would probably say that it is OK.

Jul 11th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Lesli

Another vote for October! As the previous poster mentioned, just tell your new employer during your interview/hiring process that you've already got the trip booked.

Jul 11th, 2000, 01:26 PM
russ

I have been to the Cinque Terre twice in mid-October and it was warm enough to swim both times.

If you are planning on hiking the trails, you will be thankful to have avoided the heat, not to mention that you will see more people than scenery on the trails in August. Another vote for October.