Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Swissair vs. British Airways, please help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:26 PM
Elizabeth

Hello everyone, <BR> <BR>I have finally settle on taking my 83 yr old grandmother to Austria in September, and am having a hard time deciding on which Airline tickets. We will fly into Vienna and fly home from Zurich, departing airport is SFO. <BR>I have taken into consideration all the little details that go into flying and am still stumped, because I have never flown with either airline: <BR> <BR>Choose 1 <BR>British Airways <BR>Dep: 6:30pm <BR>Heathrow layover: 2.5hrs <BR>Arr-Vienna: 6:10pm <BR>Return flight <BR>Zurich: 8:05am <BR>Heathrow layover: 1-2 hrs. <BR>Arr SFO: 1:25pm <BR>Plan: 747 with seat configuration of 3-4-3 <BR>Offers a 10% discount for Seniors <BR>Price817 <BR> <BR>Chose #2 <BR>Swissair <BR>dep: 9:25pm <BR>Zurich layover: 40 mins. <BR>Arr Vienna: 7:25pm <BR>Return flight direct from <BR>Zurich: 4:20pm <BR>Arr SFO: 7:10pm <BR>Aircraft MD-11, I believe the seating is <BR>2-5-2. <BR>Purchase tickets through Consolidator at discounted rate of <BR>$742 <BR> <BR>The cost of the flight is not of significance, but the comfort, avail. of inflight movies, food and courtesy of the flight attendants is most important. <BR> <BR>Any feedback is greatly appreciated. <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:40 PM
elvira

The 40 minute layover in Zurich on Swissair is too skimpy; if your flight out of SFO is delayed even 15 mins, you'll never make the connection. If you can get a later connection, it would work. <BR> <BR>We've flown British Air many times, and love the service. We had a brief experience with Swissair when our American Airlines connections fell apart, and we were put on a Swissair flight. Look, any airplane that gives you chocolate gets a two thumbs up in my book (plus, the plane was very clean, the flight attendants pleasant, and the pilot pointed out the different Alps).

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Christina

Hi Elizabeth <BR> <BR>I'm actually swiss and love to fly. Here my suggestions: I flow eather with British Airways and Swissair and would defenitifely choose Swissair. The allover service is 100% perfect, if you need a wheelingchair for your mom they will help you in any way. Food is perfect, normally they are very friendly and well educated. What I can't say from BA. The long distant way what you have to walk in Heathrow are deadly! <BR> <BR>If you would fly with my Grandma (same age) I would choose Swissair or Deutsche Lufthansa. <BR> <BR>Bye! <BR>Christina

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Diane

to the top

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 12:44 PM
Christina

Sorry! I meant if I would fly with my grandma...... <BR> <BR>The layover time in Zurich isn't so short. Swissair will probably wait for you (if delayed) or will book you into another flight without problems. I wouldn't care about that! <BR> <BR>Christina

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 01:48 PM
richard j vicek

Good afternoon, Elizabeth <BR>Would choose Swissair, have made about <BR>15 flites to and return from Eur on <BR>Swissair, never had a problem with connecting flites out of Zurich. <BR>Also arrangements can be made with the <BR>airline to meet your plane and make a <BR>tranfer to your next flite for your <BR>grandmother. <BR>Richard of La Grange Park, Il..

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:03 PM
kam

Definitely another vote for Swissair! And, the Zurich airport is extremely efficient (as is the airlines) so I think 40 min. to connect will be just fine. Do get a wheelchair for grandma for the connection, however.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:07 PM
Elizabeth

Thanks everyone for the info.From the information I have recieved and other posts I think Swissair is the way to go. <BR>Anyone more input will be given due consideration. <BR>Thanks

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:13 PM
Ed

One more vote for Swissair. Service roughly on a par with BA (superior to other carriers). Connections more conveniently made in ZRH than LHR. More frequent service from ZRH to VIE than from LHR should connection be missed. 40 minutes should be ample, but the frequency of service gives you a back up in case of weather or bad air traffic. The lower price is a bonus. <BR> <BR>Ed <BR>Rome.Switzerland.Bavaria <BR>www.twenj.com <BR>

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 02:57 PM
Meg

Before you go with Swissair check to see if you also get the senior discount with BA - they almost always give it to the accompanying passenger! It's a nice little bonus.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Brent

Swissair. <BR>Service can be a little on the staid/stoic side, but efficient, dependable. <BR>Remember that it is relatively 'easy' for pilots to compensate for takeoff delays during long flights. Commuter flights are the riskier ones when connection time is short. <BR> <BR>Seating: secure one of those 2 seat rows on the MD-11. 747's are the worst. <BR> <BR>Cost, flight time, plane seating configuration, all favor Swissair.

Old Jul 10th, 2000, 06:15 PM
Elizabeth

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the input and have to express how dissapointed in myself I am. After finally being totally convinced that Swissair is the way to go I forgot the original itinerary I had the tickets held on was at a later date. The same fare is significantly higher then the one I origianlly had. My parents keep saying this is grandma's only trip so don't worry about the cost, but my budget minded planning can't get past the fact that we will have to pay appox.$500 more per ticket. I think I will ask if Swissair offers the senior discount. Damn, I wish there was a way to get into business class, then I'd fly any airline.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 09:41 AM
Meg

Elizabeth, <BR>One other thing about BA Senior fares, they are completely refundable, and you can make changes without any penalties. This is something to consider what with your grandmother's age ... I certainly do not wish her (or you) any bad luck, but if you had to cancel at the last minute or make changes it's reassuring to know you are not going to have to pay a penalty or lose money.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 12:40 PM
Ann

I've had very mixed experiences with BA, so I've learned to avoid it. Good luck with Swiss Air.

Old Jul 11th, 2000, 03:10 PM
Elizabeth

Hi <BR>Well I am going with Swissair, even with the higher airfare. The direct flight home makes it worth it. <BR> <BR>Thanks for everyone's advice