Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy & Switzerland Itinerary Plan - Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2017, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I am currently planning a trip to Italy and Switzerland for August 2017. I would love anyone's help for suggestions on where to stay in Switzerland. I'm looking for a four or five night stay. My dad wants to see Bern and Grindelwald because that's where his grandparents were born. I'm not sure where to stay for the course of 4-5 nights. Should I stay in one town and day trip? Or does it make more since to move around? Places I want to visit: Bern, Grindelwald but most importantly visit Jungfraubahn and Schilthornbahn.

One last question. Since we will be coming from Venice, where should we go first in Switzerland. This is my plan for Italy. Does it make more sense to train or fly?

Day 1: Rome
Day 2: Rome
Day 3: Rome
Day 4: Florence
Day 5: Florence
Day 6: Venice
Day 7: Venice
Day 8:
Day 9:
Day 10:
Day 11:
Day 12??

I would appreciate any help!! Thank you!
Old Feb 1st, 2017, 11:09 PM
kja

While I can certainly understand your desire to see all these places, I wonder if you will actually have time to see and experience what you want. For my tastes, you are trying to fit in a bit too much -- but that's me, and what matters here is YOU. Here's what I recommend: Get some good guidebooks (or spend some time with a few in your local library), identify the things you most want to see in each location, check their opening/closing times on the internet, and mark them on a calendar. Then pencil in your transportation and add some time on either side (for getting to/from your lodging, checking in/out, packing/unpacking, getting oriented, etc.).

As for Bern vs. Grindelwald, you can get between them without too much difficulty -- there are frequent departures and it takes less than 2 hours. With so very little time, I would think you would want to decide whether to stay in a city (Bern) or stay in the mountains (Grindelwald or nearby).

Good luck!
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 12:01 AM

Leave Venice at 16.20 by Geneva bound train, change at Brig (same platform) to the train to Berne and arrive there at 22.23.
Sleep at Berne, visit the city and leave for Grindelwald in the evening (trains every 30-60 min).
Spend the other days at Grindelwald and visit Jungfraujoch, Schilthorn, First, etc. from there.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Would you say Grindelwald is a good place to stay? I read about Murren or Gimmewald. I have been to Grindelwald myself but not the last two small towns.
Old Feb 2nd, 2017, 07:04 PM
kja

Grindelwald was not my favorite, but some people really enjoy it. If I could afford it, I'd stay at one of the hotels in Wengen with a stellar view. If time or money is an issue, Lauterbrunnen can be a good option. (For my purposes and budget, I thought Lauterbrunnen a wonderful choice.)