Italy and Spain in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm hoping to go to Rome and Madrid at the end of the month for about 10 days. Never been to either place.
I'm hoping someone has ideas on good and affordable hotels that won't break the bank and aren't too far from the sites.
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:46 PM

for Madrid take a look at Maribel's guide

http://www.maribelsguides.com/
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM

Sounds like a great trip!

What is your price range in euros?

You might also consider apartments.

Do a search using the "Search the Forums" tool on the upper right side of the page to find lots of recent threads about Rome and Madrid hotels.

You can also check hotel reviews on the links below.

For Rome, look at those located in the Colosseo, Navona, Pantheon, Piazza di Spagna, Spagna, Trastevere, and Trevi-

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/hotels/list.asp?r=Rome

For Madrid, I'm not sure about what areas are central, but the reviews should give you an idea-

http://www.slowtrav.com/spain/hotels/list.asp?r=Madrid
Old Sep 5th, 2009, 10:55 PM

I stayed near Navona 2 years ago and thought my place was overpriced so I won't mention it here.

Back in 2005, I stayed at Gea di Vulcano. I really enjoyed it - you can walk from the train station, it's priced well, they give you breakfast, the people were extremely nice and gave excellent dining recommendations (the Abruzezze nearby). Also good shopping on Via Nazionale, and I could walk easily to the Colosseum and Trevi Fountain and good online reviews.

http://www.geahotel.it/indexinglese.htm
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 03:30 AM

I've never been to Madrid, but need to make it over one of these days. In Rome though, these days apartment rentals are definitely the way to go to save money, and the privacy is really nice. The only drawback is if you need a lot of extra guidance, in which case a hotel is neccessary. Anyway, I've been using Leisure in Rome with a lot of success for my guests over the past year. They have a lot of selection, wide price range, and this year they've had LOTS of really great deals on some of their luxury stuff too. And the staff speaks English, which is a major plus
Old Sep 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your feedback, i appreciate it. I'm going to start doing some research.

I might also need help planning an itinerary. This was supposed to have been a vacation with 2 of my girlfriends, but they bailed on me. So it's going to be a single female visiting Rome and Madrid, so i might need some help planning an itinerary.
I'm going to be traveling on a tight budget!
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 11:08 PM

Not sure how tight your budget, but I stayed with my kids at the Hotel Plaza Mayor. It is recommended often here, and that's how I heard about it. It was a simple, clean place, in a good location and with a friendly staff. I felt safe staying there, which might be important to you as a woman travelling alone.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 07:35 PM

Femme - the same thing happened to me once and it ended up to be a great trip. You'll be fine and happy you did it.