Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy and Greece in the same trip? Any suggestions on good itinerary.

Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

We are dying to get back to Italy, but would also like to see some of the Greek Islands.
Is it possible to do this on a 14-16 day trip?
Or would we be traveling too much? We like to spend a few days exploring in each of our locations.
We would definetly like to go back to Rome.
We have been to Positano and Bellagio and Venice before, we wouldnt mind exploring a different area of Italy.Any suggestions on another spot to see?
We wouldnt object to crusing the Greek islands (just to get a taste). Are there any good cruises to Greece that originate in Rome?
I realize that these questions are a bit scattered, but we are just in the beginning stages of planning our next trip and could use some help. Will probably be traveling in Sept. 07. Italy is a definite, Greece not so definite.Thanks for any advice.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 12:22 PM

Aegean Airlines has cheap flights from Rome and Milan to Athens. Easyjet flies from Milan to Athens as well, and very inexpensively. Once you're in Athens you can fly or take a ferry to whichever island group appeals to you.

I think a cruise would take up too much time coming and going, you're better off flying and making your travel arrangements yourselves.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM
GBC

Although it may be possible to see some of Greece AND Italy in 14 days, I don't think it is a good idea.

Both destinations offer so much. In 14 days you can't even see much of one of them. It would be best of pick just one - say Italy, an explore areas that you have not seen or that you want to revisit.

Next trip do Greece. You'll also need the next one after that.
Aug 3rd, 2006, 07:28 PM

I think it is possible to visit both Italy and Greece in 14-16 days. However, as Brotherleelove2004 has already pointed out, you can only fly to Greece from Rome or Milan, so you're somewhat limited in your exploration of new areas in Italy.

You don't say whether you've visited Tuscany, but you could fly into Pisa (don't know whether the airport there is now open- it had been under renovation), spend a few days in Tuscany, then train back to Rome, spend a few days there, and fly on to Athens.( The flight is just under 2 hours.)

From Athens, I'd suggest choosing one or two islands at the most, since you don't want travel to eat up all your time. The intra-island flights are very quick although not that frequent,( they also book up fast in season) so you have to be careful in what you choose to do.

We particularly loved Crete and Rhodes,both for their beautiful unspoiled beaches and incredible ruins, but of course, it depends where your interests lie.

Santorini is very beautiful, too, and a quick flight from Athens, but when we visited a few weeks ago, it was crawling with American tourists.

Good luck with your plans!
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Can anyone tell me what Greek island groups would be the place to begin? Crete sounds very interesting, although I heard that we should not stay in the capitol.Any suggestions on what area to stay in? Are there other islands near by that we can hop to easily?
Aug 4th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Hi
I'm flying to Venice - spending 3 days there then taking a royal Caribbean Cruise to Greece (Athens, Rhodes, Mykonos, and Croatia). Then we return to Venice where we plan on taking the train to Rome for 4 days. And fly out of Rome. We leave in 1 1/2 weeks.
Aug 4th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Ferran--sounds very nice. Some thing for us to concider. Please post when you get back and let us know how it all went. Happy trip!
Aug 4th, 2006, 05:35 PM

The Cyclades, which include Mykonos and Santorini, are very popular with first-time vistors to Greece, and easy flights from Athens. Mykonos is less than half an hour; Santorni is about 45 minutes.

I have to admit that Myknonos did nothing for me. It seemed like the Greek version of Aruba, complete with tacky souvenir shops and overpriced drinks. However, our Greek friends tell us that there are many gorgeous beaches there. We just got so turned off to the town that we didn't really look for them.

Santorini, on the other hand, was probably one of the most beautiful places that I've ever been, even more beautiful (dare I say it?) than the Amalfi Coast. We had a fantastic time doing a private cruise with a young boat captain who took us swimming in hot sulphur springs, and on a tour of the volcano. If you decide to go, definitely stay in Oia unless you must have a really active nightlife. Oia is magical, especially at night, when you can stare into the lip of the caldera, and the stars seem just inches away, and there are several outstanding fairly cheap fish tavernas in Amoudeh ( I'm spelling it wrong, I'm sure!) Bay.

About Crete: Yes, the capitol, Heraklion is a real pit- full of noise and construction everywhere. I'd suggest flying into Chania, instead, which is a lovely old port town with a gorgeous harbor and plenty of tiny lanes to explore. If you decide to go there, I can highly recommend the hotel we stayed at, PALAZZO DI PIETRO, a converted Venetian townhouse. The hotel only has a few rooms, and is literally just a few steps from the harbor. We had a gorgeous suite there with mini-kitchen for about $225/night.

Only 26 miles away from Chania, is the Samaria Gorge, which is considered one of the great splendors of Europe. It's an all day trek by foot and boat through an 11-mile gorge.

You can also take a bus from Chania to gorgeous beaches or the ancient city of Rethymnon.

In Rhodes, we stayed on the beach at Faliraki. It's a beautiful long strip of beach, but very rocky. There are several very good hotels there, some of them all-inclusive, and they are pretty reasonably priced.

It's about 20 minutes from any of these hotels on the beach to the old walled city, or the new town. The old walled city is absolutely fascinating, and could easily take up half a day or more.

We also explored Lindos, which is a beautiful town that features an acropolis and quiet bay. Just beware that it can be overrun with tourists in the summer. Still, we had a wonderful day there, and especially enjoyed a lovely lunch at a local seaside taverna.

Since Rhodes is so large, I'm sure that we only scratched the surface in 3 days of all there is to see and do. All I can say is that it was one of the most memorable parts of our 3-week vacation.

Just so you know, Rhodes is about an hour flight from Athens.

That's it for now. If I can help with anything more after the jetlag wears off ( just got home!) let me know...

Aug 4th, 2006, 09:07 PM

You could divide your week in Italy between Tuscany and Rome, then fly to Athens from Rome. You could then a have a week on 1 or 2 greek island and a night or 2 in athens. It's quite doable. The hard part is narrowing it down.

In Tuscany, we've been to and really enjoyed Greve, San Gimgiano, Orvieto, and Siena, but loved Montalcino and Pienza the most. In Greece, we loved Santorini and Mykonos. Yes, they're touristy, but for a reason. They're beautiful. They're the only Greek islands, we've been to, though.

have fun researching. sounds like a great trip!
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:03 PM
MaureenB

My next dream trip is Italy and Greece, as you describe. I'd fly to Rome, spend a week there and/or seeing southern Italy. Then I'd fly to Athens and take ferries to whatever islands we choose. Do you know if September is shoulder season, low season, or what?? Because some islands literally shut down during off season. Do some research on them. I know my daughter visited the Cyclades during last spring break, and shopkeepers were literally whitewashing walls and opening up shops for the season. She said people were so warm and welcoming, the food was amazing, things were pretty cheap compared to Italy. Can't wait to go there myself! I think seeing Italy and Greece is a brilliant idea.

Aug 6th, 2006, 01:25 AM

How about a ferry from Italy to the Ionian island of Corfu? Corfu is lovely and has good food, nice hotels and fun things to do.

My favorite site for Greek ferry schedules (including those coming from Italy) is http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/serv...ng=en&show=map

Ferries leave Italy for Greece from Venice, and from Bari and Brindisi in Southern Italy.

Aug 6th, 2006, 09:43 AM

When we did Greece and Italy on a trip 2 years ago, I priced flying to Athens from Rome and then I priced the combination of the train from Rome to Brindisi or Bari (where many ferries leave for Greece) and the ferry to Greece, and flying was significantly cheaper and much faster. Something to consider if you don't have a lot of time, or you looking to save a few euros.
If you're already in Venice, though, a ferry from there might be better.
Aug 7th, 2006, 12:32 PM

If you want to go to Athens or the Aegean islands, definitely flying from Rome to Athens is the way to go. BUT if you just want to go to Corfu, and experience the joys of Greek island life for a few days before returning to Italy, AND you enjoy being out on the water in good weather, the ferry is a decent alternative to flying.
Aug 7th, 2006, 01:57 PM

bookmarking
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM

I am doing them both next year. I have been to Italy many times in the past but my friends lst time was last year.
So we are hitting Venice for 4 days, taking a cruise (their choice I would rather ferry it) that does the Greek Isles then ends at Rome where we will stay for a week I think we are gone 22 days including fly days.
Aug 7th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

JoanneH--which cruise line are you taking? And if you were to ferry it--would you leave from Venice and what would your itinerary be?
Aug 7th, 2006, 08:13 PM

If you want to see a different part of Italy and then go to Greece, why not try Le Marche region? You can fly to Ancona from London or train or fly from Rome, then fly or ferry to the Peloponnese or to Corfu.
Vera
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:20 AM

I think it is possible. I did Italy and Greece for my recent "weddingmoon", although with a week longer. But, I think with even 2 weeks you can do it if you don't pick too many locations - and definitely get an open-jaw flight. We flew into Rome, took the train to Venice, flew to Athens (from Venice), then went to Santorini and Naxos, and flew home from Athens. We did this in 22 days, but we also had a wedding in there and trying to get our 15 guests together and settled.
Aug 8th, 2006, 06:36 AM

I think Greece and Italy are a great combo, especially since the Greeks colonized Italy!

That would be my interest in going to both, but perhaps you would just prefer great scenery.

I think Vera has a great idea in suggesting flying to Ancona and touring Le Marche. You could either head north, to Urbino, San Leo and Ravenna and fly out of Bologna. Or you could head west, through Ascoli Piceno, the Piano Grande, and into Umbria for Assisi and Orvieto. You could fly out of Rome or Pisa.

Another options I would consider given my interests in history: Sicily via Naples.

Aug 8th, 2006, 10:30 AM

My friends are Princess freaks. They just got back from back to back south american trips, are going to mexico this month and the carrib in December. Cruising not my bag.
I would take the 99e Alps Air flight from Venice to Athens, spend a few days then ferry to crete and they ferry from there to where I want to go. You can ferry to just about any of the islands in the order you want to see them. Here is the site that has a lot of ferry info.
http://www.thegreektravel.com/schedules.html
I think its better to have a greek agency book you from what I have been told, most expensive trip I would do is about 60e airline seats you can go up or down pricewise from there.