Italy

Old Jan 8th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

Help in planning 2 week trip to Italy in May. We will be going to Florence and Tuscany (including Sienna & Orvieto), Rome and only want to go to Venice for 2 days. We should still have 3-4 days for another area. Do you recommend flying into Naples and going to Sorrento and Capri (I've already been to Pompeii) or going north after Rome to Cinque Terre?
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM

I would stick with 4 destinations and try to fly open jaw--into Venice and home from Rome.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Original Poster

I was thinking of 3 destinations as Rome, Florence & Venice. Which would you recommend for the 4th?
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

I meant go north after Florence, not Rome to Cinque Terre.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you want to see more of Tuscany than Florence and Siena, you should rent a car for a few days. And if you rent a car, you should stay in a smaller Tuscan town. (Driving out of and back into Florence, plus overnight parking costs, make this plan less than desirable.)

For the 4th destination, I would stay a few nights in the Montepulciano-Pienza-Montalcino area. You could pick up the car in Siena and drop it in Orvieto, but know the open/closed hours and days of the rental agency offices.

You'll probably get comments from some people that 2 days in Venice isn't enough time. That's up to you and your interests.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:08 PM

Bobthenavigator suggested flying into Venice and out of Rome because, if you live in the U.S., your flight options from Venice to home may departure painfully early. Look into this before you settle on your ground itinerary.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

I am going with my husband and I've already been to some of these places. I've been to Venice so 2 days should be enough. We are not comfortable driving on our own, so I'd prefer taking trains, buses and tours when advised. I was told if we were going to Sorrento/Capri area to fly into Naples, but I'm not sure if we should go to Cinque Terre instead.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:17 PM

OK, now I'm confused. You mentioned Naples, Sorrento and Capri but did not include that area as one of your "destinations." You also mentioned the Cinque Terre but did not include that area as one of your "destinations."

Please clarify exactly what you have in mind.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

I am trying to decide which area (only one) for a fourth destination and would like your opinion.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 06:51 PM

I think it comes down to logistics and personal interests. If I could fly into or out of Naples, I'd pick Campania and stay in Sorrento because there is much more to see and do in the area that interests me, more than I could see in 3-4 days. Cinque Terre for 3-4 days would be at least one day too many for me.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:37 PM

I too would recommend going north after Florence to Cinque Terre. It's very beautiful in May. (Three days is plenty for the Cinque Terre, but it's a great three days and if you've only got two days, still go.) From Rome, go to Florence and then Siena, then Cinque Terre, all very doable by train. I haven't been to Orvieto, but if you're looking to visit hill towns, Cortona is an easy day trip from Florence and San Gimignano is a shortish bus ride from Siena.
We went from Cinque Terre to Lucca and then to Venice, which helped to break up what would otherwise be a longish train ride.

Have fun.