Italy 2 weeks- help with schedule

Feb 21st, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Italy 2 weeks- help with schedule

I am planning to go to Italy for 16 nights with 5 other people. This is the first time for some of them. We arrive to Rome on March 9 and leave from Rome on March 25. So far I was planning staying:
1- Rome 4 nights
2- Travel to Florence (4 nights) with side trips to Siena and Pisa
3- Travel to Bologna (1 night)
4- Travel to Venice (1 or 2 nights) I am really not a fan of Venice- there is no nightlife and I have seen it
5- From Venice to Milan (is Milan worth it?) or should I go down to Naples and spend the last days of my trip visiting Sorrento and that region??

Any advice would be very helpful
Feb 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM

Hi Ed,

What do the other people want to see? Everyone has their own opinion of Venice and I would give it at least 2 -3 nights. You still have enough time to go to the Amalfi Coast/Naples too if you want, but it's early in the year for it.
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM

I agree with you about Venice. However there are towns around Venice that do have night life.

When I went to Milan with my sister, we got bored. But if you do go there you have to take a day trip out to Lake Como. This was one of my favorite parts of our trip. Also, if you're a fan of art, you can reserve tickets to see Da Vinci's Last Supper...but you have to book it in advance or you'll be out of luck.

I would suggest the Amalfi Coast over Milan, but it would depend on what you and your group are looking for. I wouldn't stay in Sorrento though. When I went to the Amalfi Coast, I stayed in both Sorrento and Capri and wished I had spent all my time in Capri. But you might not want to go to the coast because it may be too cold still to really take advantage of its highlights.
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:38 PM

Sounds like fun. You do know that Pisa is just this leaning tower, right? Well, I guess some things ya just gotta do. Is there some special reason for a night in Bologna? We spent two nights there last summer and I still don't know why. It's just a city. I'd skip it. I love Sorrento. It's a good place from which to visit the Amalfi coast, Capri, Pompeii (which I consider a must if you're anywhere close) and Vesuvius (which was way fun to climb, but I don't know about weather in March). Naples is another option, but we've never felt comfortable there and stay in Sorrento, instead.
Feb 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM

I am also not a Venice fan, but not because of nightlife, just in general.

However, whenever I am going with someone new to Italy, I plan two nights there so they can decide for themselves what they think.

I like Milan and have been there several times. I like the fashion and the vibe of the city and think it is worth 2 nights if all are in agreement. It is not high on my list for a first trip, however.

IMO, if you found the nightlife quiet in Venice, you would positively go into a Coma in Como. That is a place I found very boring and high tailed it back to Milan after one LONG day and night there.

Not sure why one night in Bologna? I would stay two if I was going at all.

My plan for fall (with 7 newbies) in tow:

-Fly into Venice, 2 nights
-Train to Florence, 6 nights with daytrips to Siena and the wine country
- Train to Rome, 4 nights

If I had more time, I would add another few days to Rome.

I love the coast of Italy but March is not the best time for that IMO.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:09 AM

If you don't plan more time in Venice ,I'd skip the entire northern trip.
Milan is so-so,especially compared to the other places you are going. It's a bit early to go to Como.
March weather can be "iffy",especially in the north. Since you are RT Rome, I'd head first to Florence and everyone can enjoy side trips (add a day of hill towns and see Lucca with Pisa).
Then I'd go to Sorrento/Amalfi.
I'd finish in Rome.
Another option is break-up the Rome portion by staying a few nights after Florence,go south and then back to Rome.