Search

Italy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2015, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy

I am flying into Milan from NYC on Feb 9, 2016. From there I will be taking the train and staying in Montecatini until February 14, but can check out earlier if need be. I will be flying back to the states on February 20. I have not decided which airport I will be flying from as they are all similar in price. I am deciding between Rome, Venice, Naples or Catania. I am trying to see as much as I can while I am there. From Montecatini, we can do day trips to Florence, Pisa, Siena, etc... I would love to see Rome and Venice. If possible, I would love to go to Sicily. I know that will be difficult with the limited time. Any advice on a good itinerary would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I will have my 15 year old daughter with me.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 11:35 AM

I loved Montecatini Terme - few folks ever talk about it here but it is a weird place for Italy - very little traffic or obnoxious scooters running amok - a campus-like setting - lush - Lucca is right next door - don't forget the gem of a walled town. Easy train links to Lucca then onto Pisa - there is a small station on the trains from Lucca and Montecatini to Pisa - a Pisa secondary station just a short short walk from the Leaning Tower.

Siena is probably best by bus - or will you have a car?

If you want to do justice to Rome or Venice that will be more than enough - booking tickets early can result in huge savings - www.trenitalia.com is the official site on which to do that - but regional trains like all in the Montecatini area are best boght right at the station as they have a flat fare structure - no savings to buy in advance. For lots of great info on Italian trains check www.seat61.com - great advice on discounted tickets; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

To get to Sicily with limited time you'd have to fly and then I'd forego Rome and Venice and spend the other days there - lots to see and do.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. From what I was looking at, it looked like a great place. It also looks pretty close to the train station and easy to get to Florence. I will look at the websites you provided. I am having a hard time deciding what I want to do. There is so much to see and do. I want to see and do it all, but I know that is not realistic.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 12:36 PM

I spent a month in Italy last January and had a fantastic (inexpensive) vacation. Using public transit, I visited Rome, Tuscany and Umbria. Mild weather and very few tourists. A great time to visit museums and other popular tourist sites (fewer than a dozen people at the Academia in Florence, no lines at the Uffizi). Not sure what your interests are, but with ten days I might suggest Rome, then Orvieto (beautiful hill town about an hour outside Rome - train stops there) and on to Tuscany. I wouldn't try to squeeze Venice in - I think Rome will be more appealing in February. If you want to do the smaller Tuscany hill towns, you might need a car, but certainly not necessary (or desirable in my opinion) for Rome, Orvieto, Florence, Siena, Pisa or Lucca.
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 01:32 PM

I wouldn't try to squeeze Venice in - I think Rome will be more appealing in February.>

Yes but I think Carnival in Venice is well worth seeing - I had fun watching all the costumed folks walking around. But Rome should have better weather.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0imagescENIVal

If you gots tons of money and want to rent a costume you can attend one of the famous balls:

http://www.venice-carnival-italy.com/
Old Oct 21st, 2015, 04:34 PM

Just be aware that Italy has a real winter and you are likely to get rain and fog - and possibly snow if it gets chillier - any place from Rome north. Also the days are quite short so you can;t count on late afternoon/evening sightseeing as you can in high season.

Obviously you are trying for way too many places in your very limited time.

IMHO 2 days (3 nights) is the minimum for Venice and 3 days (4 nights) is necessary to see much of anything in Rome.

And you will need to allow time (1/2 day) each time you change hotels. So I would lay out your dates and see what you realistically have time to do.

The Michelin green guide is especially good for providing detailed info on sights as well as giving you an idea of how long it will take to see it.
Old Oct 23rd, 2015, 10:10 AM

Was in Florence one late January and there was ice on the sidewalks - melted before long but it can get cool - other times in winter it has been in the 60s.