Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

ITALIAN TOILETTES-DOES SUPPLY EQUAL DEMAND?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 1997, 07:44 PM
TRICIA

Hi, trying to help someone else in this forum who is getting no answers to her question. I have not been to Italy. I did find on the internet, however, some pictures of really nasty facilitis in Italy. Just a hole in the floor that you stand over. Hope this is not the norm. One of these ladies is 73 years old and very worried about this situation!!! Thanks! P,S. She is mostly traveling by train to Milan and other cities!!

Old Sep 3rd, 1997, 05:12 PM
Debbie

Thank you for your suggestions and for trying to get me some more responses! I'm still trying to figure out how to craft a title/message that generates much interest - will have to keep working on it. I'm sure that between museums, restaurants, hotels, etc. we will find enough facilities to satisfy us! I've gotten great ideas reading others questions and messages. Thanks again - I'm going to skip the graphic pictures though.

Old Sep 3rd, 1997, 05:36 PM
hamlet

I don't know if supply equals demand but I always believe that if you REALLY have to go, you will eventually find a way. Most bathrooms (not in hotel rooms) I have seen throughout Italy are not at ground level. However, toilet seats seem to be the exception, not the rule. One of the benefits of this - you build your thigh muscles over vacation!

Old Sep 5th, 1997, 05:24 AM
Patricia

After reading the post, I talked with a friend who has travelled in Italy a lot. She said she did not run into any hideous toilets in the cities. (Whew!! we leave for Italy tomorrow!!!!!)

Old Sep 6th, 1997, 11:25 AM
Alan Z

This is what MacDonald's is for. You don't eat there, you "go" there.

MacD's always has clean toilets and they are always free.

Old Sep 11th, 1997, 07:06 PM
holly

I have had some interesting adventures with toilets in Italy. Yes, some of them are nothing more than holes in the floor. I learned my lesson the first time I was there and prepared better for my last visit. Try to plan ahead as much as possible by finding and using decent bathrooms every chance you get before the urge becomes unbearable and you have to settle for less. I also purchased a small box of paper toilet seat covers at a travel store and carried them with me. Also, at just about every bathroom, you will need to pay the attendant a small fee for the use of her facilities, so make sure you carry some Italian coins with you at all times.