Italian PACE flags

Search

Italian PACE flags

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian PACE flags

I was in Italy last Spring and bought a couple of Pace flags as presents for friends. I paid 5 euro each. Now other friends complain they wanted one. Anyone know how I can get some? Thanks!!!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 10:01 AM

Not for 5 euro, but you can find them on ebay.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:18 AM
lyb

Aren't those the greatest looking flags? I almost bought one when I was there, it was 8 euros, but then I didn't know what I would do with them because of the size. If they were smaller, I would frame them.

I guess I'll be seeing you on Ebay.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

LOL, yes I tried the ebay route and some of them have sold for almost 50 smacks. If I had known I would have bought a whole mess of them.
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:27 PM

Ok, I have a funny PACE flags story...I was in Italy this past spring while the war in Iraq was going on.

As my husband and I wandered around Italy we kept seeing so many of these flags. Because the colors resembled the colors of a rainbow I thought it was a gay rights thing, ha!

Then we come to find out from one of our tourguides that the PACE flag represents their opposition to the war in Iraq. You can imagine my embarrassment, ha!
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 01:31 PM

Jennifer, I don't think you were alone. In Croatia a young Canadian confided to me "boy, there are a LOT of gay people in Italy!"
Old Aug 23rd, 2003, 04:51 PM
Intrepid

He was right...there are!

Old Aug 24th, 2003, 12:24 AM
lyb

I have a picture of a "pace" flag on a great building in Venice. One of the guys I work with is gay, he stopped by my desk and all of sudden he had a puzzle look on his face and he asked me, "why do you have a picture of a gay flag?" I think he thought I had switched teams. I explained to him about the flag and reassured him, I hadn't made any drastic changes to my lifestyle while on my trip.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:42 AM

You don't want to support your US troops fighting for you freedom??? Displaying these flags means you are not supporting those fighting for you to maintain your current lifestyle.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:52 AM

We do support our troops , that's why we want peace and fly a PACE flag.
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 03:25 PM
lyb

Patti0467,

Wanting peace means I don't support my troops? Supporting war and exposing to possible death is more support?

Somehow that never made sense to me, if a person doesn't war because I think it can be such a waste of young lives, that means I don't support them....makes no sense. I want my troops to live, therefore, I support PACE!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 04:07 PM
cmt

Re what to do with it--maybe you could use it as:
bedspread?
table cloth?
shower curtain?
basement wall mural?
room divider screen?
door flap (in place of a screen--the way beaded curtains are used in some doorways in Europe in warm weather)?
if you have a pair, as curtains?
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 06:20 PM

Isn't it sad that there is such misunderstanding about peace. Somepeople think peace means sticking their heads in the sand and everyone will be peaceful and happy. Others think peace can only be achieved as a result of war. Still others think peace can only be achieved through political negotiations. I think those peace flags can mean you support whatever action you believe will finally bring peace.
Old Sep 4th, 2003, 09:25 PM
lyb

Patrick,

>>I think those peace flags can mean you support whatever action you believe will finally bring peace.<<

I can't speak for all, but for me, you've hit the nail on the head! Thank you for putting into words my exact thoughts.
Old Sep 5th, 2003, 04:44 AM
donnabee

Instead of displaying a PACE flag back in the US (which doesn't mean Peace in the US, it's a symbol of being gay), why not use the good old peace sign. You are not in Italy anymore; you are back in your homeland.