Italian Hotels

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:50 AM
carol

Italian Hotels

I will be in italy im April Can anyone review these Hotels for me Rome Hotel De La Ville . Santa Caterina in Amalfia And last Le Sirenuse in Postitano

Mar 11th, 2001, 10:02 AM
Rex

Although I complain often and loudly about the search engine here - - a single word like "Sirenuse" is one thing it can do reasonably well (though still unpredictable) - - retrieves more than 50 message threads - - way to many to pick one or two for topping.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 11th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Deb

Carol, In case you are new to the board, I will take the nasty sound out of what Rex had to say and suggest you search those hotel names on this board. At least two of the three are mentioned alot. Personally I have stayed at Santa Caterina and it is a wonderful hotel.

Mar 11th, 2001, 01:19 PM
Rex

Nasty? that sounded nasty?

I do indeed FEEL nasty towards Fodors for the search engine which doesn't predictably work for many of the searches that people want to do here, I wasn't nasty to this particular person - - was I?

I suppose my mistake was not first saying "bonjour Madame"...

Mar 11th, 2001, 03:14 PM
jargon hater

I don't think it sounded nasty. However, it usually takes a day or two for someone to figure out what a "topping" means, so it's probably not helpful to use that word on someone's very first day.

Carol, whenever someone makes a comment or gives an answer on one of the questions, the topic shoots to the top. Questions that haven't been answered or commented on for a while get buried and can be found only by using the search function or by tediously scrolling back. Sometimes we find a topic that has fallen behind (our own or someone else's), and we write something, ANYTHING, just to make it pop back up to the top, maybe because we just want to have fun with it or because we want to help the person whose question is being ignored, or because we'd like someone else (like you) to see useful answers given in the past. Saying something just in order to bring an old question back to the top is called "topping".

Mar 11th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Rex

Thank you jargon hater. I thought I was too verbose already, but I will keep this in mind.

A search on "Sirenuse" retrieves more than 50 or more message threads. This is way too many to select one or two, to which I might add an additional message - - so that it will be positioned back to the top - - of the listings on the left of your screen.

Smiling...

Mar 11th, 2001, 07:42 PM
helper-bee

Enough of the kvetching --- a little 'copy & paste' from a recent thread giving pro/con opinions on Le Sirenuse in Positano.
= = = =

Author: adeleh ([email protected])
Date: 8/31/2000, 11:10 am ET
We had two rooms and paid $350.a night for each room plus $15.for parking per night.We REGRET it.Travelling for 17 days,we each had two pieces of large luggage.I had to stand in the room for half an hour to figure out what to do with them,finally I managed but we had to walk over them for 5 days.My daughters' room did not have a view,we knew this before we arrived.What we didn't know was that the window opens to a wall two feet away with no natural light like a dungeon.
This is not what I call a 5-star hotel.when I talked to the manager about this I was appalled by his indifference and his reluctance to utter a word of apology.Of course I have to mention that the service was fabulous,and the restuarant was marvelous.Next time I will make sure I stay in San Pietro as I almost did this time.
----
Author: Lee ([email protected])
Date: 8/31/2000, 3:18 pm ET
Message: Just an FYI...at a deluxe hotel like Le Sirenuse in high season, a rate of $350 per night is low so you probably got their smallest, most basic rooms.
Rooms with more room and a better view cost about $500 and higher per night....
----

Author: S. Park ([email protected])
Date: 8/31/2000, 5:03 pm ET
Message: Adeleh, FYI--Le Sirenuse was listed in September's T&L Magazine as the #1 hotel in Europe. I believe your experience as I've had similar ones. Do you think they put you in a low-grade (at $350!) room vs. nicer, larger ones? Would you recommend another hotel near there? Thanks.
----

Author: Deloris ([email protected])
Date: 1/10/2001, 10:05 pm ET
Message: Thanks for your review. I posted a question earlier to compare Sirenuse to Il San Pietro. My neighbor, from Capri, says San Pietro is #1 with Italians!
We'll go there. Not cheap, but hopefully worth it.
Deloris
----

Author: wendy ([email protected])
Date: 1/11/2001, 12:30 am ET
Message: The hotel to go to is Le Agavi- check out their website- you won't be disappointed- the view is just breathtaking. For some reason it is not in many tour books. Trust me. Questions, email
----

Author: Deloris ([email protected])
Date: 1/23/2001, 9:14 pm ET
Message: Guess what!? Tried to make a reservation at San Pietro, but would only take reservations for 3 nights minimum. Changed to Sireneuse for 2 nights. No problem. Will post review when we return end of April. Hold on to your hats!
----

Author: Sandy ([email protected])
Date: 1/29/2001, 12:54 pm ET
Message: My husband and I spent three nights at La Sireneuse in late October and it was magnificent. Room was spacious and beautiful with a lovely balcony overlooking the sea. Could not have asked for anything more, cannot wait to return. The people were very helpful, the food and service were spectacular.

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:06 PM
Rex

I kvetch, I repent.

You's a good helper, "Ant Bee". Me and Opie are might grateful, on behalf of all these here other Fod'rites...

(Quite a mixing of metaphors, here, huh? Yiddish and Mayberry-speak together?)

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:25 PM
me

Mr. Jargon,

Thank you for finally explaining
TOP! to me.

Love the messages on this board.
I've planned 21 fabulous days in Italy with everone's help.

Carol, I'll be staying at Buca di Bacco in Positano. It's right on the water, has great views, and is very reasonably priced for the area.

Jen

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:30 PM
helper-bee

-
ah, Rex . . . you're a pistol

P.S. Barney & Gomer send their love. GOOOLLLLY !!!

Mar 12th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Mike

The only hotel I stayed in in Rome was the Holiday Inn near Fiumenico airport. It offered a shuttle bus to/from the center of the city and to/from the airport so I never had to rent a car. Service was adequate and the room was nice, and not too expensive. The only thing that I didnt like was that the breakfast buffet cost the equivalent of $14 a pop (This I didn't know until I checked out).