Thalys check-in question

Mar 11th, 2001, 04:50 AM
s.fowler

Thalys check-in question

We're taking the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam. Having taken the Eurostar I wam wondering if there is any special checkin procedure at Gare du Nord in Paris -- and how early you should be there?

Thanks!

Mar 11th, 2001, 08:54 AM
s.fowler

Pretty please??

Mar 11th, 2001, 09:06 AM
Paul de Bruijn

Dear mr. Fowler,

You don't need a special procedure in Paris to get on the Thalys to Amsterdam. Buy a ticket and hop on.
Only the British hold on to their costums procedures to and from London and they make free travelling in Europe less attractive. It is easier to take a train to Moscow than to London.

More information can be found on our travelsite worldtravelpages.com. under Paris or Amsterdam.

Have a pleasant stay in beautiful Europe.

Paul de Bruijn.

Mar 11th, 2001, 09:29 AM
s.fowler

Thanks for your response. I wasn't concerned with customs etc... just whether you needed to be there ahead of time, and whether there was a special checkin, or whether you just go to the track. From what you are saying it sounds like the latter.

While I do appreciate your response yet me be the one to gently remind you of the no advertising policy on the forums.

Mar 11th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Patrick

We took it from Amsterdam to Paris, and there was no special check-in, but we couldn't find a listing of the location of cars. About 15 minutes before departure, however, they set up little flags along the platform showing the location for each car. I saw those same flags in Brussels, so I assume they do it at all the stations, including Paris.

Mar 12th, 2001, 01:33 AM
Mary

I'm afraid I haven't taken the Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam, but my boyfriend and I did take it from Aachen to Paris. We had bought our tickets beforehand. There was no check-in procedure, but it was important to look at the numbers or letters (can't recall which) on the side of the cars, to ensure we got into the correct car. That was it. Very easy. We were at the station about 45 minutes' ahead of time, just because we were nervous about missing the train and because we didn't know what to expect either. It really was simple, at least in Aachen. Best wishes.

Mar 12th, 2001, 03:42 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors

I agree that from this summer only the British will hold on to their frontier procedures, but hope you won't mind if I quibble. There are now no customs checks, only a passport check. The train from Amsterdam to London takes seven hours, a change in Brussels, and flashing your passport at bored officers in Brussels and Waterloo. The trains from Amsterdam to Moscow takes 38 hours, one change, visas bought in advance from the Russian and Belorus consuls, and therefor hotel bookings in Russia, and careful train checks, both customs and passport, at the last two frontiers.

Much of the annoyance of the Eurostar demand for check in 20 minutes before departure is that once you're in their windowless waiting area you can't go straight to your train seat, but must hang about looking at sales points for bad and expensive coffee. This is the fault of Eurostar, not of a government.

You are right that our failures to join Schgengen and the Euro are going to hit our tourism. But that doesn't make us Byelorus !

I like your pictures of Berlin today, and am sorry I couldn't get into your pages on London. I'll try again when traffic is less.

Ben Haines, London