Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help

Old May 7th, 2003, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian Honeymoon Itinerary Help

Okay, we are narrowing down our trip. So far, we fly into Rome at 11:15AM on November 3, and fly out of Rome at 8:15 on November 13. Can't change the flights costs way to much money. Tell me what you think of this:
Nov 3: Land and catch the rail to FLorence/Siena (haven't decided which to use as a home base.)
Nov 4-6: rent car, have to go to Gravagna (north of Pisa), visit Pisa, Chianti and other hill towns. Return car early on the 6th
Nov 6: Rest of day check Siena and area
Nov 7: Florence
Nov 8: Catch early train back to Rome
Nov 9: Vatican City
Nov 10: Vatican City/Rome
Nov 11: Day excursion (any ideas)
Nov 12: Rome
Nov 13: Fly out at 8:15 AM

Suggestions, comments, etc. This is our honeymoon don't want to pack to much in. Have to go to Gravagna (Parents Hometown). Don't want to have to pack and change hotels too many tims. Wouldn't mind three hotels, would also be open to renting a car for three days (I hear it is cheaper). Please comment
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:10 AM

For the day in Rome you list for an excurision, I'd just stay in the city that day. First, there is more than enough to see and do in this wonderful city. Second, it'll be near the end of a very activity-filled 10-day honeymoon, and by then you will probably welcome have a less hectic, less active day!
Old May 7th, 2003, 11:16 AM

Stay S of Siena near Montalcino and explore the hill towns! You have a full day in Florence already and you'll want the relaxation after your wedding. Congrats! See tuscany.net for lodging options.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

I beginning to think I will stay in or near Siena (although it is a three hour drive to Gravagna), it makes more logical sense. So is is one day enough for Florence. Also, I think I will stay in Rome for the last day, relaxing and wishing I wasn't going home
Old May 8th, 2003, 02:18 AM

Why not turning the trip upside.down? Stay in Rome as you arrive, so that you can rest and not have to worry about trains and/or cars on the first days of your trip.
Rent a car after the Rome days, drive first to Siena (as someone stated, you may use Montalcino as a base, though I would stay further north) and visit Siena and the Chianti area. On your last day with the car, drive north to Gravagna and than Pisa. Leave the car at the Pisa airport and reach Florence by train for a couple of days. train back to Rome on the evening of November 12 for the realy flight back in the morning of the next day.
Old May 8th, 2003, 04:05 AM

Check out special offers for the car renting; there are weekend and weekly offers which may be less expensive than a random midweek renting period. Have you checked if your airline company has specials in regard to car renting?

It is good to do Rome at the end of your journey. Rome needs at least four days (9/10/11/12).

This leaves you 5 days to do the rest of your trip.
Option 1 could be: take the train Rome- Florence, visit Florence 1 day and take the car from Florence train station the next day. Leave it at the Florence train station before taking the train back to Rome. This option gives you 1 hotel in Florence, 1 hotel in Tuscany and 1 hotel in Rome.

Option 2 could be: take the car at Rome airport and drive out to Tuscany. Leave the car once's your back in Rome.
This option gives you 1 hotel in Tuscany somewhere and 1 hotel in Rome.

Your home base should be somewhere in the Florence/Siena/Pisa triangle. It could be Lucca or Pistoia, with easy highway access, as well as it could be San Gimigniano or Montalcino. Lucca and Pistoia also give you the opportunity to visit Florence by train.

Congratulations and have a great trip!