Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon Itinerary, Please review and comment 8-)

Dec 4th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Maya

Okay, we have decided to expand our itinerary to 4 weeks. We are flying into Nice and will arrive on August 4th, 2003. We are departing Rome on August 29th, 2003. We realize that August is a terrible month to travel to Europe, however, we are getting married August 2nd and we would like to take our honeymoon immediately!

Here it is:
- Arrive Nice, spend one night in St. Paul de Vence
- Travel to St. Remy, stay there for 5 nights, location undecided
- Travel to Italian Riviera, stay at the Hotel Continental for 3 nights
- Travel to Lake Como, stay at the Hotel Belvedere for 3 nights
- Travel to Venice, stay at the Westin Europa for 3 nights
- Travel to Florence, stay at a Starwood property, 3 nights with day trips to Pisa/Lucca
- Travel to Sienna, stay 3 nights
- Trave to Rome, stay two nights, depart

We have not booked any hotels except for the Starwood properties as we have used points. We have two extra days - where do you think we should add time to?

All advice will be greatly apprciated 8-)

Dec 4th, 2002, 03:16 PM
Judy

I would add the two days to Rome. By that time you would probably be traveling at a slower pace and need that time to enjoy Rome before you leave.

Dec 4th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Bob

I like the fact that you are staying in most places around 3 nights. That is good.

Florence and Siena are not that far apart...about 45 minutes by car. If you are traveling by car I would recommend basing all of that time in Florence and exploring the area from there. It would save an additional hotel move and be more relaxing. You could still do Siena in a nice day trip. Or stay in Siena all of that time and visit Florence area. I just do not see the need to move between the two cities.

I also would add more time to Rome. The city is crowded and a hassle but you could spend a lifetime there and not see it all. You will not need a car, but there is plenty to do and see. This is the end of the trip for you so it would be a good time for some Grey Line bus tours where they do the thinking and you do the sight seeing.

August is not all that bad. We were there in 1998. It was hot but everything we wanted to see was open and the crowds were not as bad. Just be prepared for some heat and you will have a great time.

Dec 4th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Nan

I disagree, you should visit Siena and Florence separately. It is too rushed to do a day trip and it is nice in both places at night especially.

Dec 4th, 2002, 03:43 PM
Maya

Thanks for the suggestions! I will talk to my fiance.

Keep them coming 8-)!

Dec 4th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Faye

I would add more time to Florence, esp. if you will be taking day trips to Lucca and Pisa, then go to Siena and visit wine areas too. Siena is magical at night in the piazza, sit at one of the cafes and watch the moon.
If not, then add the extra nights to Rome, or just make plans to return soon.

Dec 4th, 2002, 03:54 PM
Connie

Having been to all of your suggested places I suggest:
Nice - 1 night
St. Remy- 3 nights
Ital Riv- 3 nights
Como - 3 nights
Venice - 3 nights
Florence- 4 nights
Siena - 2 nights
Rome the rest of the time.

My humble suggestions, from a frequent visitor to the areas.

Dec 5th, 2002, 08:40 AM
Maya

ttt

Dec 6th, 2002, 01:57 AM
Jen

I lived in Siena for over a year, and I believe that you might be spending too many nights there. It is a beautiful small town, but it is worth two full days to see everything and still have time to relax in the piazza. A day trip to Siena from Florence is an idea, but you really should spend one full day or at least one night and two days.

Dec 6th, 2002, 04:23 AM
k

I'd agree that more time in Rome is a good idea. It's a wonderful city and way too big with too much to see to do in a few days. The Colisseum and the Vatican/St. Peter's can take a day together, museums, all the other sights! I'd spend 4 days there at least.

Dec 6th, 2002, 04:38 AM
Patrick

Are you looking for someone to carry your luggage for you??? I could make myself free at that time. LOL

Sounds like a great trip. I too am focusing on the Florence/Sienna portion. I agree to split it up the way you have. Actually I liked San Gimagnano much more that Sienna and it would make a nice base for those day trips (and actually I think you can do Pisa and Lucca in one day). A Tuscan town like San Gimagnano is best appreciated as a quiet place to come back to at night after the day trippers have left -- and if you are doing day trips from there, you will avoid the "touristy" quality of that delightful town. I would utilize the days you are in Florence to really see Florence, but to do your day trips from somewhere else -- like San Gimagnano. Or will you not have a car? If not, then you will be more confined and I understand the idea of the day trip from Florence and staying in Sienna.

Speaking of cars, will you have one? If so for what portions? You can pick up a new Peugeot at Nice from Auto France if you are using it more than 17 days. Although there is a pretty hefty charge if you drop it in Italy, the overall price is still likely to save you money. You might even consider changing the order a bit to put Venice, Florence, and Rome as the three last ones, since those three places the car would be as much a hindrance as a help, and you could easily do those by train.

And I too would add the two extra days to Rome.

Dec 6th, 2002, 05:23 AM
Laurie

Maya I guess I'm in the minority. I think you should you should add at least a day or 2 to your first stop in St Paul. First, it will give you a chance to relax & get used to the time change but, more importantly, it's a beautiful area to explore. Cap Ferat, Cap D'Antibes, Biot etc. Yes, it will be very crowded in August but when will you have the chance to go back? I'm a fan!

Dec 6th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Maya

Wow! I am so flattered that you all put so much thought into your answers. This is great and so helpful!

So, I'm hearing that San Gimignao may make a better base than Sienna... I will look into this.

Thanks for the rental car advice!

Dec 6th, 2002, 08:49 AM
Alice Twain

San Ginignano makes a far worse base than Sinea. It has more or less the same amount of tourists, but the town in way smaller and something of a tourist trap. I would rather find an agritourism in the Chianti Area, spend 6-7 nights there and rent a car for one week to make daytrips to Firenze, Pistoia (a smallish town but great for a day off the touristy crowd and really lovely), Lucca, Siena, Arezzo and some more places. With a car you may enjoy staying in these cities until late evening or night, when the tourists leave while an agritourism as an extended-time base is more or less perfect because you will be able to linger in bed till late and free of the need to pack up all your stuff very couple of days.

Dec 6th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Robert

What are you looking for? Many people like Rome. My wife and I spent 5 days there at the end of our honeymoon in 93. I would have to say that there is a lot more that we don't like about Rome than things that we did like. We visited in late October.Did not like the noise,strikes or size.The only place where we had bad food on that trip which was 3 weeks was Rome. I am not saying that all food is bad there just that we had a least 3 bad meals there and for the rest of Italy in our 3 trips have never had bad food. RR

Dec 6th, 2002, 10:41 AM
Tia

Maya, I thought you had decided to spend all of your time in France afterall.
Don't have these nice people do alot of research if you have decided not to go to Italy.
I don't mean to point a finger, but I thought I had read your France thread yesterday.

Dec 6th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Maya

I don't remember saying that I was going to spend my whole time in France. We have always planned on spending a majority of our time in Italy and some time in France.

Thanks again for the all of the help!

Dec 6th, 2002, 04:33 PM
Patrick

I'm curious, Alice Twain, if you've ever spent a couple of nights in San Gimagnano? Basically I suggested it for the same reason you suggest the agro-tourismo, except that in SG there is also something to do at night. Usually I have found those that call SG a "tourist trap" were only there as day trippers themselves, the time I suggest anyone staying there leave. But at night it is absolutely wonderful when the tourists leave. It has a number of wonderful charming restaurants, a beautiful square with a couple of cafes to enjoy under the moonlight, and quiet quaint streets to roam. The problem to me of the agritourism option is that at night you're stuck out in the middle of nowhere with nothing to do. Although on a honeymoon I suppose that wouldn't be such a major problem.