Search

Italian Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2009, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italian Honeymoon

Hello,

My fiance and I are looking to honeymoon somewhere in Italy, following our wedding next year in Sorrento, Italy. We are keen to explore another part of Italy, away from the Amalfi coast (having seen quite a bit already) but we're not sure what the options are.

Our wedding is late May next year, so our honeymoon will be early June. Some nice weather is one of our criteria (quite important actually!). Our preference is to be close to water - either on the coast or beside a lake.

I had considered Stresa, nr Lake Maggiore, but I'm concerned about the possibility of rain in early June. We are looking at a 10-day honeymoon, preferably in at least a 4-star hotel.

Any recommendations most welcome!
Thanks.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 02:31 PM

Hi Sorrento,

I'm not quite sure why you are getting married in Sorrento and then want to leave to honeymoon somewhere else. Do you live in Sorrento? Family there?

Anyway, have you considered the Aeolian Islands? Closer to Sorrento, but a whole different type of location and atmosphere. I haven't been there yet, but plan to spend about a week on my next trip.

If you really want to visit Lago Maggiore, I wouldn't worry much about rain. Rain can happen almost any time, any where. Probably less likely further south. We really enjoyed Lago Maggiore and stayed on Isola dei Pescatore just off the lake edge from Stresa.

Happy planning!
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 02:49 PM

Do you want to spend the entire 10 days in one, four star, location? If you want to leave the Amalfi Coast, I would head south to Sicily to have the best chance of good weather. One year we were in the north of Italy the first week of June and were freezing, with rain almost every day. Taormina has some beautiful hotels like the San Domenico. I would break up the 10 days with five in Taormina, and five in Palermo at the Villa Igea. Get a car and explore the island. Puglia is another possibility and should have beautiful weather at the beginning of June. Fewer four star properties but Il Melograno near Monopoli is a beautiful one.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 03:34 PM

I agree with Grinisa--why go so far north--Sicily is perfect. Here are the pics to prove it.

http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
Old Sep 17th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. The idea behind going North - Stresa in particular, is that I've heard many good reports and it's the type of resort we would like to go. I'm completely open to staying in the southern part of Italy - the only thing with Sorrento as a honeymoon destination is that my fiance and I would have spent some significant time out there already before the wedding, and we're keen on exploring somewhere new whilst in Italy. It's a fine line between finding somewhere that has things to do (i.e. a bit of culture) and comfortable surroundings to relax.

I have looked at Taormina, which looks fantastic. It's a bit pricey though, so wondered if anyone knew of destinations - maybe still on Sicily - which aren't quite so expensive?

Thanks for the pics as well. We will seriously consider Sicily I think. Any further suggestions are very welcome!