Italia with hubby

Nov 13th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Original Poster

Italia with hubby

First time writing in. I have traveled extensively throughout Europe with girlfriends as we all have husbands who have not been interested in going abroad. Our son will be studying in Italy (Florence) and my husband has agreed to visit him.

My husband tends to hate crowds, is not really a museum goer, doesn't like to be rushed, loves beach/cruise/resort vacations so this should be very interesting. I can't decide what we should do. I have never taken a tour but have wondered if we should try that so the pressure is not on me to "entertain". With the girls we set out on foot first thing in the AM and come back exhausted yet in awe of another wonderful day of touring whatever country we are in. We do the museums, churches, history, shopping, etc. All the stuff all you readers would do....well OK, maybe not the shopping. But help....what do I do with my husband. I thought about a cruise too but he didn't think he wanted to do that.

I am thinking 4 days in Rome, 3 days in Florence and then maybe a few days on Amalfi Coast. (we'd probably go to Sorrento and take the boat to Positano and then to Pompei another day)I have been to all many times so I know my way around but not sure it's going to be up his alley. He'll like the history of Rome, and I would think marvel at the architecture everywhere. As I type I must be in personal therapy because I am thinking we will be fine just walking around casually checking everything out....but I am not sure. We are going in April 08. I would love to take him to Prague but not sure it's easily doable from Rome. Maybe another time if this is successful

I am probably not making much sense as I am typing a million strokes a minute trying to get this out. Would welcome any suggestions. I guess I should be thrilled to be going with him because if he ends up liking the experience I will have a new travel buddy that I would love to explore more of Europe with. Can't wait to hear your thoughts....they will probably be "chill out, relax, and take your time...you'll be fine". I think you are right but will still welcome comments.

Thanks
Nov 13th, 2007, 09:37 PM

Will you rent a car? Does he like wine? You could tour some vineyards south of Florence.

You might consider spending some time in Le Marche. Less crowded and some beaches.
Nov 13th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Hi! You mention that you may want to take a tour so that you don't feel the pressure to entertain your husband. I understand. My boyfriend is a surfer and doesn't get why I want to travel to Europe and explore when I can go to the Caribbean and snorkle.
I think a good way to get the pressure off yourself is to recommend to him that he look at some maganizes, travel guides and see what he would like to do. He can pick and choose what he enjoys in Florence, Rome, etc.
This way, you can relax and focus on all that you enjoy.
Nov 13th, 2007, 10:39 PM

For your husbands tastes I would recommend a day tour of Rome that covers all the sights he wants to see. Do it all in one day then just wander leisurely the rest of the time. He'll love the history and sites if you don't over plan. We have had our best times just exploring. Make sure to wander around the Trevi fountain site . Nice area for walking, shopping and soaking up the sites . Don't miss the Pantheon. Worth the time. Unfortunately Florence is busy and crowded. Make sure to wander around the Uffuzzi Gallery. Book your time on line because it is busy and you need a reservation. My husband loves to travel but likes a more peacful pace. We see less sites but enjoy the ones we do see. Hope he likes it.
Nov 14th, 2007, 06:57 AM

What about flying into Milan, then taking the train to somewhere like Lucca- gentle easy going place with good restaurants and delightful Italian atmosphere. You can hire cycles to ride around the walls. Then when he's relaxed and in the mood for a more upbeat place you can take the train to Florence.
Nov 14th, 2007, 07:11 AM
ira

Hi C,

I suggest either

A: Fly into Venice - 3 nights, train to Florence - 4 nights, train to Salerno and take the ferry to Positano on the AC. Fly home from Naples.

B. Same as above, but go to Rome from Florence.

C. Visit Venice and Florence and fly home from FLR or PSA.

Hope this helps.

Nov 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Sounds like you're on the right track with the Amalfi coast and Pompeii... especially for someone like your husband who likes beach/resort type activities AND history
In Rome I would think he'd like to simply wander the Roman Forum and Palantine hill on his own. I can't see him on a bus or a tour.
You may also want to consider Venice ... he'll love the history and architecture... but you could stay on the Lido and take advantage of the beach/resort atmosphere as well.
You should also check with your son... he may have places he'll want to visit with you both.
Nov 14th, 2007, 10:14 AM

I say Puglia. Not so many crowds, wonderful beaches, and maybe warm enough in April to actually get in the water. Also, for architecture there's a lot: all of Federico II's castles, and beautiful Lecce.
Nov 14th, 2007, 12:01 PM

I would try to stay in one of the small towns in Italy. This can be very eye-opening to most Americans.

Also, I would go for a professional, guided tour for Rome and whatever other significant city you may select. Even a 1/2 day, group tour might be a good idea.
Nov 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I agree that if he likes history, he can enjoy Rome a lot. You also could follow Rome with some time based in a smaller town in southern Tuscany/northern Lazio to see the Etruscan sites and small towns (probably by car at this point, rented in Orvieto). Then return the car and take the train to Florence, where he can surely enjoy it if your son is available as tour guide, and he reads some history on the city.

If you go to the Slow Travel message boards at http://slowtalk.com/groupee/forums/a/frm/f/862600685
you will find several topics on history books about Italy, as well as fiction, travel, etc. He might like to read some of those. Especially for Florence, read "Brunelleschi's Dome" about the competition and execution of building the dome on the Duomo. Then, if he's physically up to it, climb up into the Dome to see the results.

I would not try to go south of Rome, since you need to be in Florence to see your son. A car in the Etruscan country will allow some decompression after Rome and let him see some of the countryside, kind of wandering by car.

It sounds as though you are planning only about 10 days in Italy. Is that correct? If he does not like to be rushed, I certainly would not try to tack on a trip to Prague. Make that for the next time he agrees to go, and spend more time in your 3 main areas. Changing hotels every 3 nights also contributes to a sense of being rushed.

Maybe also for Pompeii -- don't go this time, and when he realizes how much history is in Italy, and how he can't see it all in 10 days without rushing, he'll consent to go back.

Charnee
Nov 14th, 2007, 01:55 PM

I agree with the suggestions of Charnee. Your husband will experience the history of Rome; relax in one of the most beautiful areas in the world (I recommend the Val D'Orcia area); visit the son in Florence- and with very little hassle and travel time. Perfect!

Nov 14th, 2007, 05:02 PM

If your husband is into the beach scene and not into crowds (which Amalfi can draw), check out the Cinque Terre in Liguria. It is a beautiful area that tends to be quieter, more secluded feeling at least. There's a nice beach at Monterosso and the area is easily accessible from Florence. Also, Prague is pretty easy to get to from Rome, I did it in October last year on Czech Airlines.