Florence As A Day Trip

Search

Florence As A Day Trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2004, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Florence As A Day Trip

My husband and I will be in Rome for a week in early June. We want to see the highlights of Florence. We are trying to decide if we should do it on our own or take a Florence day trip with Enjoy Rome or the likes? What do you think? How hard would it be to do on our own?
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:07 PM

Many would say don't do it, but I disagree. It is easy to do on your own, and preferable I think. We did this in November. Just take an early train. We took an 8:55AM ES train From Roma Temini that arrived in Florence at 10:30AM. The station there is right in the center--all major sights are within 10-15 minutes walk from there. For this btief trip we skipped the Uffizi but did see David, the Duomo and baptistery, had a great lunch, shopped and strolled, had a light dinner, and then caught a 9PM ES train back to Rome. A wonderful day. You will probably leave wishing you had more time there, but at least you will have had this day. Also, I think it gives you the pulse and look of another Italian area.

We met someone who had taken a day tour by bus (though not Enjoy Rome). She complained that they were dragged around too much and the bus ride took 3 hours in each direction. I'm not sure about Enjoy Rome.

Have a great trip.
Old Jan 17th, 2004, 05:37 PM

Hi Little house,
We did a highligthts of Florence in one day and we saw the Accademia with reservations, the duomo, climbed the tower, did Rick Steves walking tour of Florence using Mona Winks, went through the Pallazzo Vechio, had lunch, went back to the hotel for a quick break, went out and had a snack and went through the Uffizi with reservations, walked down along the Arno and checked out the Ponte Vechio, went back to our hotel for another short rest and the out to dinner around 8pm. This might be a lot for some people, but we never felt rushed, took, our time in the museums and at lunch, and really enjoyed our day. It all depends on what you want to see and do. Don't forget the reservations.
We are going back in June this year to see some of the things that we missed.
You can do it on your own. That Rick Steve's book is really good for a first timer, I would reccomend it.
Have a great time!
DebiC
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:43 AM
ira

Hi littlehouse,

Since you're in Rome for only a week, I would recommend staying there.

If you must include Florence, I suggest that you make it an overnight. Have dinner at
Il Ritrovo Via de? Pucci 4/A Best food for the price Has fish. Full dinner w/wine abt $40 pp

From Pzza San Giovani (NW corner of the Pza del Duomo) walk one blk East to Via dei Martelli. Go left to Via dei Pucci. Turn Right. Look very carefully on left. No sign. Door could be locked. Ring bell.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

I've about decided that we might just wait until we get to Rome to decide if we want to go to Florence. The more I look at what there is to do in Rome the more I think we won't have time. I may wait to go back someday and take a trip to Florence and Venice instead. Thanks for the advice!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 04:29 PM
ira

An excellent idea, Littlehouse