Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul Splurge (on a limited budget) / Pera Palace

Oct 19th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

If our wallet gives us permission, we're thinking of splurging on a fancy hotel for our last night (12/31!) in Istanbul. If The Four Seasons is just too costly even for a splurge (unless someone tells me it's the experience of a lifetime), I'm hoping the Pera Palace might be less expensive. Is it worth the money? Where would you SPLURGE on a limited budget?
Oct 19th, 2010, 02:13 PM

I recommend Bebek Hotel, sea front room. 45sq. meters with small balcony overlooking the Bosphorus. Excellent breakfast, bar and dinner. Nothing special about the service, but very special location.

in the city, my recommendation is park hyatt in tesvikiye, excellent service, a truely upscale hotel in an upscale district with lots of restaurants, bars and designer shops close by.

Pera palas can be interesting if you are interested in history and the old Istanbul, but if you have already been to Istiklal street, the area will not be special.
Oct 19th, 2010, 02:15 PM

Hi

The W Hotel has the "wow" factor - http://www.starwoodhotels.com/whotel...ropertyID=3028.
Oct 19th, 2010, 02:18 PM

Sorry, just saw the date.

My two recommendations stand, because neither will have dinner and show programs, so you will have a chance to join the bar hopping crowds.

There will be a street party at Nisantasi/Tesvikiye, so it will be fun.

Bebek with lots of popular bars will also be quite active that night but it is a smaller location.

Istiklal and the area around Pera Palas will be full of rowdy, unruly youngsters and can even be dangerous.

Sultanahmet will have nothing, because it is a conservative moslem area and the moslem conservatives frown upon NYE festivities.
Oct 19th, 2010, 04:55 PM

I would splurge on a meal rather than a hotel because a bed is a bed, while Turkish food is like no other.
Oct 19th, 2010, 11:49 PM

I would splurge at Tria or Tria Elegance hotel. They are quite moderately priced, at the same time offering excellent staff service and maximum comfort. Perfect location - the heart of SA district, nice rooms, small souvenirs from the hotel. Besides, they have a marvelous restaurant with great views and different New Year performances.
Oct 20th, 2010, 09:18 AM

I would splurge on a really good meal or a special tour, or cooking classes, but not a luxury hotel.

We had one last night in Istanbul before flying home the next morning. We stayed at the Airport Marriott Courtyard. By then, we were all exhausted--no one wanted to go back into the City, even tho there was a free shuttle service. So, ask yourself if the family will have enough energy at the end of the trip to appreciate the amenitites offered by a luxury hotel.