Istanbul safety

Old Jul 17th, 2015, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul safety

Hello all,

We are visiting Istanbul in early September for 5 days. I was there for several days 5 years ago and had no issues. However, that was before the protests and I stayed in the main tourist area and was not out much after dark.

I'd like to see a bit more of the city away from the main tourist sites and later in the evening. I'm not looking for trouble but really enjoyed a day I just wandered some mostly residential areas across the river from the main area.

Does anyone have any late news of protesting or areas to definitely avoid? Besides unlighted back streets of course!
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 06:20 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ration.cfm?207

Plus, many recent trip reports
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 07:29 AM

I was in Istanbul in May. I think you are from the U.S.? The sense of safety in Europe including Istanbul, is different from the U.S. Unlike in the U.S., people stay up much later on streets. People, including families with children walk much later at night instead of confining themselves in locked cars leave streets without people.
In May, the area requiring timing was Istiklal to Taksim, a main tourist area. All the marches were confined to these areas. One night there were police stationed at side streets along Istiklal ready to deploy. When we saw them moving the riot transports towards Taksim, we got out of there quickly.
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 07:56 AM

I was in Istanbul in March of this year and felt very safe. Have a great trip.

jdc
Old Jul 17th, 2015, 08:41 AM

Istanbul is a very safe city. There is practical no street crime at all. Currently there are no big protests, and even if they were it would not cause problems for tourists unless you feel an urge to march with them right at the front.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I am not worried so much about robbery/etc but just hit by something flung from a crowd of protesters. Hopefully, things are in certain areas that can be skirted. I loved my previous visit and can't wait for the return!
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 05:27 AM

Hello

Do let me know if you get any first hand views on safety in istanbul. I'm travelling there mid September as well. And with the embassy attacks and Isis trouble, I'm apprehensive . Thanks much and have a great trip
Old Aug 16th, 2015, 06:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
disha, welcome to Fodors, just follow the link from chelebi as I suggested on your other thread, he is in the midst of the action as it were.