Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Istanbul or Budapest or Prague for 4-5 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to pin down an itinerary for a 2-week trip to Europe in May.

First fly to London. Then take advantage of the budget airline: 4days/3nights in Paris - 4days/3nights in Venice - 6days/5nights in "eastern Europe" - 2-3 nights back in London.

I have a hard time deciding where to spend the 6 days/5 nights: Istanbul, Budapest and Prague seem equally attractive. Can any seasoned traveller who have been to these places enlighten me? many thanks in advance.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Since you speak of using budget airlines, where you can go from Venice with a budget airline may be a factor. Or is this last leg a splurge?
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:28 PM

i have been to all but budapest and am going next month.

i would fly to the one it would be most difficult to go back to.. istanbul?? it is very very different, the area meriting all those days with side trips.
or... do both budapest and prague for quicker overview, leaving turkey for another whole trip.
Old Mar 7th, 2005, 01:50 PM

John - I have been to all three. I found all the three cities very interesting. Won't go wrong with either. It all depends on what type of architecture, and culture you enjoy the most and which one fits your trip plans better.

If you elaborate a little on what you are looking for, it might help.

Old Mar 7th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi Michael: I remember that SkyEurope, return from Venice to Budapest is about 55 euro plus tax, so it is not a "splurge" for the last leg.

Hi Zbjoon: I like looking at buildings/architecture and their history, museums, galleries, ethnic/local cuisine, wine tasting, exploring local produce, small shops, sipping coffee, pastries, people watching, sight seeing.

Furthermore, one reason I'd like any of these 3 countries is the hammas (Turkish baths). They represent some bygone era whcih I find very nostalgic and fascinating.

Old Mar 8th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:31 AM

Johnmango--

I've been to both Budapest and Prague and enjoyed them equally, so I think it's a toss up on them. Perhaps I might give Budapest a slight edge because of some of the interesting day trips you can take along the river. I haven't been to Istanbul, but it's on my to go to list. In fact, can you tell me what budget airlines fly from London to either Budapest or Istanbul. we are trying to figure out a trip for early summer and are looking at the possibility of flying 1st to London or Paris because those tickets are so much cheaper, and then going on from there. Thanks.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 06:44 AM

Have been to all 3 cities. Personally think Istanbul the most fascinating. Truly different than the other cities of Europe and sites to see that are absolutely great.Part of city in Asia which makes it so unusual. Food good, prices generally lower than in other parts of Europe. Second would be Budapest, a nice city and third on my list would be Prague.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Juies:

I found a great website listing all the discount airlines (by countries and by airlines).

Easyjet flies from London Gatwick to Budapest (return) for ~50 pounds + tax, also SkyEurope flies from London Stansted to Budapest Ferihergy for ~60 pounds + tax.

There may be other airlines as well but I did not do a thorough search.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:38 AM

Johmango,

All I was trying to point out is that not all discount airlines provide connection to allthree cities from Venice, and that if cost is an issue, that might decide which city you choose.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Original Poster

Michael:
Thanks

Lincasanova:
You are correct. I can't seem to locate an airline that flies to Istanbul from London, Paris or Venice, or the other way round. have to keep searching.
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Julies:

Sorry I forgot to attach the link.

The websire I found lists by countries and airlines (discount):

http://www.ewatravel.com/european_discount_airlines.htm
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:24 AM

Thanks for the web site. It's easier to find specific information than on http://www.whichbudget.com/
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

Hi Michael:

There is another good one searching for flights to continental Europe from U.K.

http://www.flights4less.co.uk/
Old Mar 8th, 2005, 01:21 PM

Hi John - I think I know what you are looking for after reading your second post. And you will not go wrong with either one. I will try to paint the pictures of each city in my experience.

If you are looking for a flavor of East in your trip, then definitely I would go to Istanbul. You will actually see mosques, a sultan palace, museums with more of what is considered eastern ornaments, haram, Bazaar, along side churches, And part of the city is in Asia.You can even experience a call to the prayer. I truly got the feeling when I got to Istanbul that is where East and West meet. It is definitely fascinating.

If you are looking for an old European feel of a place remarkably preserved, Prague is the city you want to go to. In my opinion it was closer culturally to the West than Istanbul for sure. And you will be showered by history, culture, and mention of musicians, writers, painters and other famous figures. It is fascinating. And everything is in close proximity and you can cover a lot of ground every day. You need to stay close to old town square and Charles Bridge.

I am not sure how to explain Budapest. The architecture was new to me and beautiful. I could not associate the place with anything I have seen before. I was there in 1999. It had the look of an Eastern European city that I had always envisioned or had seen in movies. I did not get a feel of Eastern Europe in Prague but I did in the rest of the Czech Republic I traveled to. I think Budapest and Prague are both considered Central Europe but in some circles are called Eastern Europe. I stayed in a hotel with my room having the view of Danube and Pest and absolutely gorgeous specially at night. There was a lot of cafes/restaurants on the stretch in front of the hotel in the pedestrians walkway next to Danube. Big food Market in walking distance as well.

I did not explore the Hamams in these cities. I know Budapest has a famous Spa and I walked to it but somehow did not make it in. Since you like Hamams, you might want to explore the spa towns in Czech Republic. You can take an overnight trip to Karlovy Vary which is the most famous one although I preferred another town(Marianske Lazne) for an extended stay and use of Spa but don't recommend that for a one or two day visit. You need to look into it and choose a good Hamam (Lazne). Karlovy Vary is not so big but beautiful and worth a visit but not at the expense of Prague. Turkish baths in Istanbul - don't know, I assume there should be an abundance of them and definitely authentic

No shortage of tasty local Cuisines and pastry shops in any of the cities. You mentioned wine tasting. In my recent trips I have been in a hunt to find good wines to bring back and love to drink the local wines. I actually liked the wines in Czech Republic. I kept trying different ones and found a favorite one! Also, you want to try their drinks and beer if you are into that. They had some interesting ones like a hot drink that I cannot remember the name.

Hope this helps out some.