Budapest or Istanbul?

Sep 8th, 2003, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

Budapest or Istanbul?

I have three full days to spend in Europe in early Oct and I am torn between these two cities: Budapest and Istanbul. Which should I go!? Also, will it be dangerous to be in Istanbul now. Anyone who has been to these two cities, please advise. Thanks and appreciate your time for doing so!
Sep 8th, 2003, 05:21 PM

Where are you starting from??
I've been to both -- but it's apples and oranges.

Istanbul is dirty, polluted, full of beggars and unbelievable in terms of its exoticism and the incredible Byzantine and Ottoman edifices and monuments.

Budapest at its tourist core is more compact -- has its own exoticism-- very different from "western" europe, yet European indeed. In fact around 1900 it was giving Vienna some competition in the civilized department. Three days would be a nice amount of time to get a good feel for Budapest -- I think I'd want a week in Istanbul.

But again it depends on where you are and what interests you.
Sep 8th, 2003, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Hey SFowler, Thanks for your reply. Believe it or not I will be coming from NYC. Just needed a break and Budapest and Istanbul have always been two of the few places I want to visit. I think I will stick to Budapest for this trip since I will have three full days there (excl. air travel) and I think it will be a nice break. I will visit Istanbul when I visit Greece, since it's common for people to visit these two countries in one trip.

Thanks,
Ethan.
Sep 9th, 2003, 01:49 AM

Sounds like a good choice -- there's lots of great Budapest info here if you do a search -- it's been 3 years since I've been there, but let me jnow if you want suggestions of things to do/see.
Sep 10th, 2003, 11:42 AM

Hi Ethan,
I've been to these two.Both were fantastic.But I'd prefer to visit Istanbul in autumn.History,art&archeology,fun will hug you just in a city,Istanbul,where the continents meet.I can also give you some tips for Istanbul.After returning back to home,you'll have a lot to remember.
Enjoy Istanbul.
Sep 10th, 2003, 03:44 PM

Both are worth a visit.

When in Budapest look for their Bill Clinton doll.

The doll is one of the Russian type nesting dolls made of wood. Bill is on the outside,looking presidential. Open him and next smaller doll inside is Monica. Open her and you find Gennifer, then Paula and then last and very small....Hilary.

They were selling well in the summer of 2000. A friend just brought me back one this summer as I failed to buy one then and asked him to. You will find them in the large bazar next to the place where the cruise ships dock.