Reload this Page >

Istanbul or Athens?

Search

Istanbul or Athens?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 1997, 04:30 AM
LeeAnn Warren

Istanbul or Athens?

Me and my husband will receive an all expences paid vacation either to Athens or Istanbul this
coming spring..Would like to receive your opinions on which one to choose..
Can any of the readers who have been to both of these cities csn make a recommendation?if it was you,which one would you pick for a week's vacation?thanks..

Old Dec 31st, 1997, 10:02 AM
ms green

I prefer Istanbul. It does depend on how much traveling you have done in the past and how comfortable you are with different cultures. Istanbul is exciting and offers many new tastes, sounds and smells. Read as much as you can on both cities to help you decide where you want to go.

Old Dec 31st, 1997, 10:33 PM
Andrew

My wife and I were in Athens two years ago and plan to be in both Istanbul and Athens this summer. We loved the architecture and history of ancient sites. The people are wonderful and friendly if you are polite, as in most places. Learning a few words and phrases in the local language is always helpful and shows that you take interest in the people and their country. We found Athenians to be very warm. Besides the Acropolis, etc. in Athens, we found Ancient Corinth (an hour away) interesting. The view of the sea and surrounding mountains are spectacular if you are athletic enough to climb up into Acrocorinth. We spent a day on the Island of Aegina (30 min. away by hydrofoil from Piraeus Port) which was a wonderful step back in time.

It would be helpful to us if you can pass anything on to us about Istanbul. We know nothing.

Old Jan 1st, 1998, 02:16 AM
Paul Hansen

I think I would pick Istanbul,such a colourful city,exciting,lots to see and certainly uncomparable more interesting than Athens..
Athens has Acropolis,true but that is all...
İstanbul is really a city,Just like Newyork City..

Old Jan 1st, 1998, 04:53 AM
George Holt

Its a difficult choice if you've never been to either. Athens offers the obvious Acropolis as well as many small museums. If you're there for a week you can spend a day island hopping in Agaena and Hydra, you can probably get a day excursion to Delphi, a day in Epidaurus and maybe even as far as Mycenae. Personally I love Istanbul, you could spend several days just visiting the many museums and mosques in the city including the Aya Sophia, the Blue Mosque the Kariye Museum and Topkapi Palace. Istanbul is an eminently walkable city, most of the better known sights are in an area of just a couple of square miles centred on Sultanahmet. A day on a Bosporus ferry is a must, one ferry travels right up from near the Galata Bridge to the mouth of the Black Sea. You should be able to get a day trip to Bursa (long day) which was the first Ottoman capital and a roman spa town and probably days out elsewhere.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 12:18 PM
Pablo Larrain

Istambul, colorful, shopping, people, and sea.
Athens, history, islands but only with the best cruise.

Old Jan 2nd, 1998, 01:39 PM
michael

I would pick Istanbul but again it really depends on how comfortable you are with new cultures. Athens is much more western and European than Istanbul which is a 99%25 Moslem country. But the Turks are incredibly warm, hospitable people who like westerners. You will be invited into shops and if you are lucky homes for tea and fruit. Don't be afraid to say yes. They are really sincere about welcoming you with no strings attached. Try to spend time on the southern Mediterranean coast which is lovely, serene and unspoiled. I recommend Kas which is not far from Antalya. Have fun whatever you do.

Old Jan 9th, 1998, 07:16 AM
Jean-Paul Deffoer

You will be surprised to know that for a predominantly moslem city,Istanbul has a surprisingly lively
night life,bars,clubs going wild after midnight,
I have spent 3 months teaching french at a summer school in istanbul,for 3 months had a difficult time in catching up with the city's dynamic night life scene..check with your hotel for the names and addresses of the latest opened
taverns,bars,eatingplaces,winehouses,beerhalls,bel lydancing clubs,cafe's,dancehalls as they seem to appear in the most unexpected areas...
in many decent districts of Istanbul,you will have a very difficult time in remembering that you are in a moslem populated country..