Istanbul layover

Search

Istanbul layover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul layover

We have 8 hours or so changing planes in IST en route from Houston to Osaka ( I know, I know, long story). This will be in the afternoon/evening of Christmas Day. I am assuming everywhere will be open and the place will be buzzing. We are intending to go into town on the metro. I have done it before and reckon it takes less than one hour. Allowing for getting through immigration ( I have an electronic visa, he doesn't need one) and if the plane is on time, would you say there is enough time to get to Istiklal Caddesi/Galata Bridge and back? Dinner, mooching around etc. How long would it take by taxi? As I recall, the traffic can be pretty bad.
Thanks all.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

OC, are you there?
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 01:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi gertie3751,

Traffic is bad from 4 PM till 9 PM.

If you're checked in and have seat assignment, without any baggage, you can probably use the Business counter even if you do not have business tickets. Or, you may already have your boarding passes which is great.That means you can be at the airport about 90 minutes before your flight.

Use the arrivals entrance to beat any possible queues at entrance to the terminal. Go right and use the escalator up to the departures area.

The passport control is usually quite fast even if the queue seems long. Usually not longer than 10 minutes at worst. And if you think you are running late, you can always ask the people to let you through.

Metro to Taksim, with a possible change and any waiting time may take a bit longer than 60 minutes (Have to admit, I never took it)

there is construction on E5 highway. The TEM is out of the question. That leaves you the coastal route till yenikapi and then over the Golden Horn on Unkapani bridge. I reckon it will take about the same or maybe 10-15 minutes longer by taxi even if it is after 4 PM.

Going back between 5-9 PM, I would definitely recommend the Metro. After 9PM, taxi will be fine.

To conclude, yes you can do it.

If the sstress will be too much, go to Beyti Restaurant at Florya, 15-20 minutes from the airport for the best lamb chops you will ever taste, or almost as good doner, beyti kebap, meat balls and excellent piyaz (great northern white bean salad with onions) to be topped with great Kunefe (shredded wheat pastry cooked on order filled with unsalted melted cheese) instead of trying to istiklal. But then he will miss out on the sights if he has not been to istanbul.
Old Dec 7th, 2015, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Brilliant OC. Thanks so much.
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

This was a major success. Thanks OC for your help.

Now we are doing the reurn trip and will have the 8 hour layover in central Istanbul for breakfast. I have great memories of delicious Turkish breakfasts. We are thinking of finding a hotel where we can have breakfast even though we are not guests, and possibly even a view to go with it.

Any recommendations OC or anyone?
Old Jan 7th, 2016, 10:39 PM

A nice view from this hotel - http://www.hotelarcadiablue.com/en/dining.html
I don't know if they do breakfasts there, maybe worth contacting.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 04:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I am afraid I know nothing about the hotels in Sultanahmet area and the breakfast they serve or their views. Just make sure that the terrace is open in the Winter as some hotels may have open terraces with view available only in the Summer.

Our favorite breakfast is at Divan Bebek. Thios is not a hotel restaurant but smack on the water at Bebek bay on the Bosphorus.
Getting there in the morning will not be a problem because you will be traveling against the traffic, but getting back, you will hit some traffic. If you wish to splurge, you can also arrange for a water taxi back to Eminonu, directly from the restaurant pier. (Divan Bebek could arrange this for you when you get there)
They do not take breakfast reservations, and it is a very popular spot with quality clientelle, so good for people watching as well as cormorant, motor yatch, and the Anatolian fortress and Kucuksu Summer palace Asian view.

If your table is not on the water, the waitress will help you move to one if a better one becomes available befor you are finished.
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. I will check those places out. We leave tonight!
Old Jan 12th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Just to say that we went into central Istanbul on our 8 hour layover and took pictures in the exact spot where the explosions occurred 48 hours later. The luck of time and place. This is a magnificent city and nothing will prevent me from returning again and again. Take care otherchelebi.