Istanbul - a short visit - need help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today we decided to take a short vacation next week to Istanbul. We shall have three full days (Mo 29 Dec - W31 Dec). We would like to visit:
- Hagia Sophia
- Sultanahmet Imperial Mosque
- Grand Covered Bazaar
- Topkapi Palace
- Suleymaniye Mosque
- Beylerbeyi Palace (closed on Monday)
- Dolmabahçe Palace (closed on Monday)
- a cruise on Bosphorus

As you see, the time to prepare the visit is very short, so maybe somebody can help with some advices:
- is a good idea to take the cruise now, in winter? I understand that I need for this a full day. Is it worth this?
- how can I group the sightseeings to use very efficient the short time that I have?
- we shall stay at a hotel named Oran, not far from the Bazaar. How we can reach from there Eminou (to take the cruise)?
- how to reach Beylerbeyi Palace and Dolmabahçe Palace ? Is the taxi to these places expensive?
- can you recommend a nice restaurant , not far from our hotel, for New Year's Eve?
- for me, it is the same if I'll change there Euros or dollars, but what is better?

Thank you very much.
Merry Christmas and happy New year!
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

One more question: what about Princes island? A friend told us that is very nice and that it is a must see. What do you think? I am not sure that it is a place to be visited in winter and I do not want to see it instead of other sites that are onmy list.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 09:06 AM

We were in Istanbul for 3 days last March and saw the places on your list except Princes Island and Beylerbeyi Palace. Most things are walking distance except for the Dolmabahce Palace. There are shorter cruises on the Bosphorus. We went on a 2 1/2 hr. cruise and it was long enough for us. Be sure and walk past the Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque at night when they are illuminated, in addition to seeing them in the daytime. We went to the Grand Bazaar but enjoyed the Spice Market much more. They are within walking distance of one another. One of the hightlights for us, that is not on your list, was the Kariye Museum with its world famous Byzantine mosaics. We took a bus from the Grand Bazaar to the Kariye, but you might prefer a taxi. Just outside the Kariye is a nice restaurant, the Asitane, which has authentic Ottoman recipes. If you enjoy museums, the Archeological Museum is very nice. The Topkapi Palace is out-of-this-world and takes a half day to see.
Enjoy your trip. We loved Istanbul.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM

I certainly wouldn't go to Buyukada at this time of year. The big draw is a horse-and-carriage ride around the island and the monastery.

You don't have enough time to take the cruise. Skip it.

Cabs are cheap in Istanbul.

2 good restaurants: Rami and Divan

The currency for Turkey is Lira.

I agree that the mosaics at Chora are a MUST SEE and that Asitane is would be a nice place to eat afterwards.

Thingorjus
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM
sjj

ttt
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jrj and Thin for suggestions.
Thin, I found your report from 2005 and it was a pleasure to read it. I take some advices from there also.
I saw the info about Rami and Divan, in specail rami seems to be a very nice and special place.

Thank you again.
Old Dec 25th, 2008, 11:26 PM

The Blue Mosque and the Agya Sophia are opposite each other across a park - a few mins walk. Across the road junction from the Agya Sophia is the Basilica Cistern.

We did the 2.5 hour cruise which was more than enough for us. We also had 3 days and didn't want to take the long cruise.
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

We found that Sultana restaurant has a Dinner and 1001 Night Show that includes Turkish folkore dance, historical show about Harem , Live songs from all over the world and a fix menu at 45 Euro (if ordered by internet), including transportation from / to hotel. If you go there without internet reservation the price is 60 Euro.

Maybe one night (not NYE) we shall go there for dinner, but I would like to hear if somebody knows this restaurant and if the 45 E / person is a normal price for show & dinner in Istanbul.