Search

Isola Pescatori

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 03:49 PM
jmw

Isola Pescatori

Hello, I've read such positive things about Albergo Verbano and Isola Pescatori, which I've only admired from a lakeboat. Can anyone help me find photographs of the island and particularly this hotel on the web? I've done Google but am not having much luck. Grazie. J.

Old Jun 13th, 2003, 04:57 PM
dln

jmw, go to Yahoo and type in "isola pescatori travel photos." You'll have to wade through a fair bit of stuff that will be all text and no photos, but you will find what you want. We nearly went there but decided on Rome instead. However, I had already done lots of looking on the web, and I know I came across plenty of photos. I recall one site that was written by a Japanese tourist, so I couldn't make heads or tails of it, but it featured an aerial shot of Isola Pescatori.

I have found that typing in "xxx travel photos" pulls up a lot of travel journals written by ordinary tourists. Many of them include photos which can be extraordinarily good.

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:10 AM
jmw

Thank you very much, din! I'll try both. Maybe I need to explore more search engines. Do you find Yahoo to be the best for travel? (no need to reply if you're busy answering significant questions.) J.

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:46 AM
jmw

ok, din, confession time: I did type in each of your suggestions and both times, resulted in "no results." What did I do wrong? This was at yahoo.com, yes? no? I obviously need further instructions when you've got a minute. Thanks, J.

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 05:57 AM
cmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try this: do an IMAGE search (not a WEB search) on www.google.com for "Isola Pescatori" (two words, separated, caps not necessary, put in quotes). Here's a list of what you'll get. http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...a=N&tab=wi I haven't looked at them yet. I'm interested, too, because I'd like to go there this September or October, but not necessarily stay there overnight.
Old Jun 14th, 2003, 11:35 AM
dln

jmw: I've never used any other search engine but Yahoo. My husband set up my computer so Yahoo is the first thing available to me. I'm just about 95% computer illiterate (I've read through that euro post and there's no way in %$#%# that I could even begin to understand how that all works). So I don't want to get your hopes up any secret to using the computer!

However, I treat Yahoo as my own personal reference library. Isola Pescatori is part of the Borrommean (sp?) Isles, which is in Lake Maggiore. So, type in Isola Pescatori travel photo. You should find about 60 posts, most of which won't be good, but if you sit down with a bottle of beer and an evening to spare, you can plow through it. Don't find anything? Next step: Borrommean Isles travel photo. Next step: Lake Maggiore travel photo. Or, variations on a theme--just type in "Lake Maggiore" and see what comes up. After a while you can size up pretty quickly what will waste your time, and what might be a goldmine.

I swear I came across that Japanese head shot of Isola Pescatori!

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 12:10 PM
dln

ok, this got me to thinking. Go to Yahoo, ditch the "travel photo" part and just type in isola pescatori. You'll come up with ten pages.

Just to get you started: www.lagomaggiore-tour.it
www.primitaly.it/piemonte/index/html

Have fun searching.

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 02:16 PM
jmw

With such patient teachers, how can I not try again? Will do, with a little glass of chianti. Same to you! J.

Old Jun 14th, 2003, 03:15 PM
jmw

Found some good ones. Grazie mille. The Image button is puzzling. Sites that turn up in a web search w/pictures don't appear in an image search. I guess that's a mystery to be solved only by the truly cool. No matter. This is inexpensive fun.

Old Jun 15th, 2003, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi jmw1

We stayed at the Hotel Verbano in May 2000 & I would highly recommend it! I found it in the Fodor's guide, but it's also on the web. I'm trying to remember whether the web site is something like stresa.net or lagomaggiore.it??

Fabulous views, dead quiet at night, only 12 rooms, excellent restaurant. Check times for public boat service from Stresa, because earlier or later, you will need to ask the hotel to make private boat service available for you.

We loved our stay! Our room faced north with a view of the entire lake and surrounding mountains. We had a huge lakeside terrace shared with 2 other rooms, but no one but us used it.

The island is tiny & charming. Any picture you see of Lago Maggiore will probably show the hotel. It's the only one on the island, a brick red, two story building seen picture postcard perfect from Isola Bella.

Grab it if you can!
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 05:00 AM
jmw

It sounds wonderful, Dayle. Found

hotelverbano.it

That's it, yes? Wish I could grab it; unfortunately, this summer is only dream time. Thanks all, J.