Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Isn't it time for us/Uncle Sam to wake up!?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:31 AM
MHS

> TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES
This isfrom a Canadian newspaper, and I hope worth sharing.
> America: The Good Neighbor.
a remarkable editorial broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television commentator. What follows is the full text of his remarks :
> "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the Americans as the most generous and possibly the least appreciated people on all the earth. Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the Americans who poured in billions of dollars and forgave other billions in debts. None of these countries is today paying even the interest on its remaining debts to the United States.
> When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up, and their reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.
> When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59 American communities were flattened by tornadoes. Nobody helped.
> The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now newspapers in those countries are writing about the decadent, warmongering Americans.
> I'd like to see just one of those countries that is gloating over the erosion of the United States dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10? If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the International lines except Russia fly American Planes?
>You talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German technocracy, and you get automobiles. You talk about American technocracy, and you find men on the moon - not once, but several times - and safely home again.
> You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs right in the store window for everybody to look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded. They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.
> When the railways of France, Germany and India were breaking down through age, it was the Americans who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York Central went broke, nobody Loaned them an old caboose. Both are still broke.
> I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name me even one time when someone else raced to the Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside help even during the San Francisco earthquake.
> Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get kicked around. They will come out of this thing with their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."
> Stand proud, America!
> Wear it proudly!!

Not one of our so-called allies/friends/
receivers of foreign aid had any CIA-type hint about this planned terror? Not one passed on info which could have prevented or limited this destruction? I find that impossible to believe. It's time to rethink our response to other countries -- both in terms of rescue help and dollar help. Contact your federal legislators.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:42 AM
sense

MHS-Stop blaming others.
I'm afraid you trained & set up Bin Laden yourselves.
You now need the help of the rest of the world.
Most of them want to help and can.
Accept it, you can't do it all yourselves.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 10:45 AM
x

sense, you make NO sense

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 11:18 AM
xx

Err, what about your OWN secret service?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Laura

To MHS....thank you for sharing this article with us. I live in Michigan and have always known how wonderful the Canadians are....Do you know what newspaper that was in or who wrote the article?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 12:50 PM
Laura

MHS...I guess I should say I am confused by the beginning of your post...you say it was in a Canadian newspaper but then say it was broadcast from Toronto by Gordon Sinclair. Did Mr. Sinclair write this tribute?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:03 PM
Mike

Whoever wrote it doesn't know their history.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:17 PM
xxx

Mike, what are you refering to, and what is your point?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:22 PM
ABC

MHS what exactly are you trying to achieve by posting this here? At a time when we should all be standing united in grief for relatives, friends, colleagues, humanity this article is divisive and xenophobic. I find your motives suspect!

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Escritora

The "newspaper article" was a radio broadcast--a broadcast done in 1973, which explains that perplexing reference to draft dodgers who are receiving money from Mom and Dad. It is somewhat misquoted in this thread and elsewhere, quite widely, on the web. To see the site that (by its claims, at least) has the full text of the original along with an audio file, go to:

http://www.rcc.ryerson.ca/schools/rt...e/am_text.html

That's the factual/logistical end of things. However, I urge everyone who reads this to bear in mind that our friends have supported us in both symbolic and practical ways. AP reported yesterday that our neighbors in Mexico, specifically the resort owners of Cancun, are providing stranded visitors from the US with additional nights of accommodation at no charge. This in a country that staggers under its own poverty, but that is home to people who will share what they have even when they have nothing. I look forward to returning their expression of friendship when I travel to Mexico next month, and I know Mexico is not alone in standing behind us in the wake of this attack.

We are fortunate to be the wealthiest country in the history of the world. It is not only our responsibility, but also our privilege, to help those who have not experienced our great fortune. The world community has wrapped its arms around us. This is no time to hold them at arm's length.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:33 PM
David

Well said, Escritora.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:34 PM
TB

Gordon Sinclair, a canadian Uncle Tom.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

The Irish Government has declared Friday a National Day of Mourning for all those who died in yesterday`s terrosist attacks in the U.S. Government offices will be closed and so will most private firms.
Ireland has a long history of close relations with America and more than 40 million Americans are of Irish descent.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 05:22 PM
Jim Rosenberg

Americans have strong friends in the world who far outnumber our hateful enemies. Western Europeans and Canadians are our best and most valuable friends -- in spite of those "family squabble" types of policy disagreements that come up from time to time. Some are more important than others; some can even be heated. But the bottom line is that we have major agreement on some very fundamental values. That is true of us as Nations, but particularly in a forum like this, where we have the opportunity to freely exchange our ideas and thoughts. Person by person and one step at a time, we bridge the gap a little every day toward more tolerance and understanding (some days better than others, perhaps...). Anyway, there is really no point in wasting any venom on each other, because civilized people can and do stand together against terrorism and attacks on free people everywhere. Thanks to all from across our borders who have offered their thoughts, prayers and gestures of support over the past few days. It has been truly appreciated and underlines again how in the worst of times, we often see the very best in people. Thanks to all of our friends!