Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How much help can U.S.Embassy give in time of real danger?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:14 PM
Byrd

Our son is in Qatar (right next to Saudi Arabia, Yemen, etc.) on business, and is scheduled to be there for another three weeks. (OK, I know Qatar is far far from Europe, but I feel that I know and trust you well-traveled Fodorites) My question is this: If the US retaliates against Afghanistan and the Middle East explodes, how much help could the US Embassy be in getting him home? Right now, Qatar is probably as safe as any other place, but...
Anyway, what do you think? Any suggestions to worried parents?

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Andy

Go to the state dept.advisory site and see what they have listed for Qatar...

THe US Embassy is the only safe place he could be in case of an attack-it's the first place out troops will go to try and rescue the Americans--

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:40 PM
PB

As someone who has lived most of her life outside of the United States..as an average citizen the word was always to head for the Swiss Embassy in times of trouble. The US Embassy reserves its best efforts for those who work for the State Department or are with the military.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 03:50 PM
s.fowler

PB is right. The answer to the original question is -- little or none for the average US citizen. Even now there is no service for US citizens in Paris. The embassy is closed to the public because of the terrorist attacks.

Old Sep 12th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Andrea

I think it depends greatly on the country/city you're in. I live in Shanghai, and the consulate people here bend over backwards to provide help and service to Americans living here, including what to do in case of an emergency. Only hours after the tragedy in New York, they sent an e-mail to all registered US citizens, keeping them up to date on the latest information and reassuring us that there was no indication that anything other than normal caution need be exercised by Americans living in Shanghai. The Consul General gives a monthly update speech to the AmCham, and consular staff are frequently on hand at community events reminding US citizens to register at the consulate NOW in case there is an emergency in the future. I have every confidence that they would do all they could to help US citizens in a crisis.