ISIC card vs EU student ID

Feb 26th, 2011, 10:57 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3
ISIC card vs EU student ID

I've looked at other topics similar to this one but figured maybe things could have changed in the past few years. I'm going around Europe (mainly Italy, Greece, Czech Republic, the UK) in April-June. I'm currently studying abroad at UCC in Ireland. My question is this: Should I get an ISIC (or another student discount card) or do you think my UCC student ID will work fine? I'm likely to be going to a lot of museums/archaeological sites.
Hillary_Durkee is offline  
Feb 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,729
If you know which museums/sites you plan to visit you might check their websites to see what sort of student ID they require for entry and/or discounts. You might need both.
brotherleelove2004 is offline  
Feb 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 6,729
.............depending on which museum/site you visit.
brotherleelove2004 is offline  
Feb 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 78,339
ISIC often appears on museum discounted admission fees as it is one of the few if only internationally recognized forms of student ID - thru multi-national agreements I believe - the cost is not that great and at least in the U.S. you do get some other benefits like limited insurance and perhaps help in some situations.

If you are a European resident as a student studying should be then your Irish school ID should also work.

That said in some countries like France and Holland being undr 26 is the magic age for discounts and student status means nothing. But in Italy I have noticed the ISIC card being specifically noted on admission fee charts at museums.

Check out what Let's Go Europe says about it IMO - the guidebook that is that even Irish booksellers should stock.
PalenQ is offline  
Feb 25th, 2015, 10:38 AM
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1
I have just been in Greece and the ISIC-Card was of no use, as it is generally not accepted. Museums would be free for students, but I had to pay. ISIC-Card was only a waste of money.
Chrisspm is offline  
Feb 25th, 2015, 11:36 AM
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 6,857
This is an old topic, but as long as it's been resurrected, I'll add that the only places I know in Italy that will accept an ISIC card will equally accept a university photo ID.
bvlenci is offline  
Feb 25th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33,648
I'm not a student, so haven't checked, but in France, the main issue is your age, not whether you are or are not a student. IF you are a young student, then no problem. If you are a 50 year old student, I don't think that gives you discounts. I have seen only rare cases in the countries I travel where there are special discounts for "students", not just discounts by age. So you'd just need an ID showing your age usually.

I think some movie theaters in Paris do actually have a "student" discount, but museums and tourist sites don't.

Now the OP didn't ask about France or Spain which I know best, but I have been to CR a lot, and in Prague, some museums and sites (like the castle) do give discounts for a student, not by age (unless the age is less than 16, then you get in free). But they just want to see your university student ID, that's all.

I don't really comprehend why you'd need a special card, if you are a real university student, you have a student ID, don't you?
Christina is offline  
Related Topics
Original Poster
Last Post
Jul 25th, 2010 09:03 AM
Jun 4th, 2006 02:05 PM
Mar 3rd, 2005 08:33 AM
Jul 3rd, 2003 03:26 AM
sue smith
Mar 10th, 1998 04:24 AM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:49 PM.