Search

Is this doable?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this doable?

I am trying to plan a last minute trip to France that covers sights neither of us has seen before. We'd like to see some of the Dordogne by car, then train to Carcasonne, train to Nimes, pick up a car, see some of Provence & then drive to Grasse before flying back to Paris from Nice. How long can we spend in each area. How much should we expect to see/do in 1 day & what would you suggest we see. We have about 9 days. We were thinking of the caves in the Lascaux area, as well as Sarlat and Beynac. In Provence we were thinking about Pont du Gard, Tarascon & St Remy. I am depending on all your collective experiences to tell me if I have to cut back or go ahead. Or, if there is something you think is really special that I havne't mentioned in any of these areas please speak up. Thanks.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:20 PM

Third candidate for most meaningless message title of the week, MMMTOTW. The other contestants are:
"How to?" at http://tinyurl.com/2yufhw and "getting to hotel from train station" at http://tinyurl.com/2gjqcm

Suggestion, in all sincerity, in your subject line mention your destination at a minimum. In your question be specific and indicate that you have at least looked at a map of Europe, and preferably have skimmed a guidebook. If you ask what is the "best" then define "best." Best is usually the most expensive so it's a no brainer. If you want to know what to do or see in a place then indicate what you normally like to do and see. Are you going for art, architecture, food, drink, smokes, balloon rides, nude beaches, or what? Season is important so say when you are going. Give us a clue and we'll give you a tip or two.

Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM

Forget the trains too. The distances you mention will whipsaw you with turning in cars, finding the trains, finding to where the cars rented again.

The trains wil slow your intinary considerably. The cost of the total price is neglible for just driving.

Blackduff
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 06:15 AM
ira

Hi M,

Can't speak to Provence, but I would drive to Carcassone via Cabrerets to see Pech Merle and then follow the D84 to the D629 to Carcassone. About 5 hr.

Would you have time for an overnight in Albi?

I think that you might find keeping the car for the whole time is no more expensive than taking trains.

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the sugestions on the RE line. I didn't realize that after you clicked "Preview" you couldn't edit the heading. I'm going to repost with a diffferent heading.