End to End Loire Wine and Chateau Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking of doing the Loire from one end to the other by car in February. Wine is the primary attraction, with chateaux a close second. Rather than finding a place to stay each night, we'd rather spend a couple of days in a spot well situated for visiting an area, then move on and do the same elsewhere, etc.

Where would be some good places to set up shop? Any recommendations for particular places to stay? We are more inclined towards B&Bs and farm-inns than hotels.

There are a million wineries (caves), some require an appointment and others do not. Do you have any favorites?

Thanks!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 09:03 AM

I don;t want to be discouraging but Feb is not the height of the season. Chateaux wil defnitely be on shorter hours and not sure how many caves will be open - I would check in advance - since tourists will be sparse nt he ground.

You can easily do the Loire with one eastern location and one western location (it's not that big). We spend 6 days at a chateaux neat Chinon and say a huge amount (but in June when everthing s open longer hours, daylight is muchlonger, they have the son et lumieres etc). We stayed at eh Chateau des REaux (a 15th century charmer with groeous grounds - in summer) but I'm not sure they operte in winter.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 10:18 AM

I can't think of a worse month to visit the Loire. Quite a few things are likely to be closed (not the châteaux, but probably most of the dégustation places and quite possibly caves), the landscape will be bleak, and the weather probably unpleasant.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 10:55 AM

Amboise (east) and Chinon (west) make good home bases. We stayed in both. I highly recommend staying at Le Vieux Manoir, a B&B in Amboise run by ex-pat Gloria Belknap and her husband Bob. Gloria can help you plan your day to day activities.
www.le-vieux-manoir.com. Give Gloria a call, she will have some recommendations regarding StCirqs concerns.
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Agreed on Amboise as a base of operations. Can you go in April instead?
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
we "did" the Loire one April and it wasn't particularly warm.

in the west we liked Saumur as a base; further east we stayed in Amboise but didn't like it as much.

in February, I'd go to Nice!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I agree---pick a different month. That said we have stayed in Amboise for the Eastern end of the valley and in this charming cottage near Chinon for the Western end of the valley.http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-ren...6?uni_id=62755

Both trips were done in Sept. I wouildn't want to be there when it was cold because you are outside so much. I would think you'd want to be there when the grape vines were full and beautiful.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Plans have changed, thanks to you folks. We're now looking at early September. Recommendations for places to stay and caves around the Nantais and Sancerre would be appreciated.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 11:00 AM

Here's a website with some practical info on Loire wines:

http://www.vinsdeloire.fr/en_EN/
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 11:04 AM

Hello, Geetus,
My husband and I traveled through the Loire in Sept 07 for 10 days, then up to Paris for a week. We truly enjoyed the Loire region.

Here are the hotels we stayed at and can highly recommend all 3:
Hotel de la Loire in Sancerre
Chateau des Ormeaux in Amboise
Hotel Diderot in Chinon

We used these hotels as bases to explore and taste. Here are the some of the wines/wineries from my notes. Not all inclusive but some of the highlights.

In Sancerre:

Alphonse Mellot:
2006 La Moussiere (entry level white)
2005 Generation XIX (white) - barrel fermented, oldest of the old vines

Lucien Crochet (one of our very favorites!)
2005 Le Chene
2003 Cuvee Prestige
2002 Vendage du 19 Octobre (special wine only made in certain years - rich - dessert or by itself)
2005 La Croix du Roy (red)

Henri Bourgeois - big firm, we tasted a very large range of wines (probably at least 12),including pinots from their new facility in New Zealand
1997 Vendage de la Saint-Charles (50 cl) - brought this one home

In Vouvray:
Huet: - Fantastic - all the wines were amazing
2005 Clos du Bourg Demi-Sec
2005 Le Mont Moelleux Premiere Trie

Philippe Foreau (Domaine du Clos Naudin) - too busy for tasting - first day of harvest - but had the 2005 at a restaurant in the area (L'Aubinere - terrific food, too, with beautiful dining room and setting out onto the garden)
Domaine des Aubuisieres (too busy for tasting - first day of harvest)
Francois Pinon (too busy - first day of harvest, Madame had to 'faire les courses'

Montlouis-sur-Loire:
Francois Chidaine (Another of my very favorites):
2005 Clos Habert (Sec) Montlouis-sur-Loire
2005 Les Bournais - MSL - demi-sec, almost moeulleux - 42 vs 44 sugar)

In Chinon area:
Saumur-Champigny:
Chateau de Villeneuve - 2005 Le Grand Clos(red)

in restaurant (Au Bon Plaisir Gourmand, Chinon):
2003 Dom de la Chapelle, Philippe Pichard

also tasted severeal Coteaux de Layon - esp. good with foie gras!
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 12:34 AM

You might want to look for lesser known Loire wines, such as Ménétou-Salon (similar to Sancerre) and Quincy.
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 06:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
there are some "caves" cut out of the tufa [rock] along from villandry for which you need make no reservation - just look for the "degustations" signs.

you might also like to try some of the Loire reds - quite light in style, but we like them a lot, and they go well with local food.