Is there a number for Trenitalia?

Mar 28th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Is there a number for Trenitalia?

I can't seem to be the website to work, so is there a number I can call to reserve train tickets?
Mar 28th, 2006, 07:06 AM
MaureenB

If you go to BudgetEuropeTravel.com, they have an 800 number you can call and talk with their very helpful and responsive people. Bob is especially good. They will buy the tickets for you, mail them to you, and charge a very small ($15?) shipping and handling fee. Well worth it for their expertise and advice re: tickets vs. passes, routes, etc.

Mar 28th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Drifus,
Trenitalia does not have a number in Italy that you can call from the US.

What doesn't seem to be working? You really should at least get the real prices for tickets from Trenitalia before you think of buying them from a stateside vendor. In most cases 1) point to point tickets will be less than a rail pass, and 2) you can purchase your tickets when you get there and they will be a lot less.

You can email me if you like at [email protected].
Mar 28th, 2006, 10:35 AM

Drifus, this is the third post about your battles with the trenitalia site, but you're not exactly step-by-step telling us what you're trying to achieve on any of your posts.

You'll get better responses if you stick to one thread and add a post there when something new bothers you. That brings your thread back up to the top. As it is you're all over the map.

Some good suggestions were given to you in response to one of your other threads. Are you looking to purchase more than 60 days out? Can't do that.

Good luck

WK
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Trenitalia has a phone number for their call center, 89 20 21. Unfortunately that number is like our 900 numbers, they charge per minute to use it. Since there isn't any way for them to bill US customers, we can't access it.

I once emailed Trenitalia to suggest that they should have a way for US customers to ask questions, and I was told that "every informations [sic] is available on the website."

That is a joke. If their website wasn't so badly designed, if it really had "every informations", they would have so few calls to the help line that they wouldn't bother to charge. In fact, I think they probably make a sizeable profit off of the help the give. That doesn't give them much incentive to improve it, does it?

I can think of two possible reasons for your problem. One, if you do repeatedly query their ticket line, asking for one ticket purchase, and then backing out and asking for another, they do eventually say you have asked too many times and you will have to try later. That has happened to me.

On the other hand, the website often just goes crazy and won't give out any fare information.
Mar 28th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Drifus - As MaureenB mentions BETS is super helpful. Bob is at 1-800-441-9413 but referred me to Byron or Linda at 1-800-441-2387 for specific train related help.
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:49 PM

What would you ask BETS.

According to their website they sell rail passes, nothing more. If they try to sell you a rail pass for this itinerary, hang up, fast, and never call again.

The cost of point to point tickets via EuroStar trains is about €79 ($95). Via Intercity trains it is more like €45 ($54). If they do sell point to point tickets and want much more than that, say "thanks but no thanks".
Mar 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Actually BETS is very helpful in doing the research for you regarding finding alternate routes when there are fully booked trains, answering questions re: departing and arriving from/to multiple train stations within the same city, train changes, train layout help for people travelling together, berth options. Overall I'd say not only they're pleasant and helpful, they don't try to sell you something if you can get it for a better price elsewhere.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Why don't you just buy the tickets there? I've never bought in advance of the trip. It's easy: the big stations all have automated machines that take credit cards and have instructions in English. The only reason I use Trenitalia website is to get an idea of the schedule in advance.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Larryincolorado said:
"The cost of point to point tickets via EuroStar trains is about €79 ($95). Via Intercity trains it is more like €45 ($54). "

First class, maybe. Second class isn't that expensive. And second class is just fine.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:10 PM

I agree with Deja...use the website to get an idea of the schedule, and just buy your tickets there. I've never had any trouble.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:30 PM

I guess I just assumed the OP may have circumstances as we do, such as travelling a night train and wanting a T3. In these cases I don't want to wait until I get there...Also, if you're travelling with several people, chances are you'll get better seating (at least together) if you reserve ahead.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:43 PM

Deja,

The fares are 2nd class. I got them right off of Trenitalia; check them yourself.

Everyone, go back to the first posting. Drifus wanted Rome to Florence, to Siena by bus, and back to Rome. No night train!

Via IC, Rome to Florence, €21,95 sans reservation, and Siena to Rome, €17,60 sans reservation. That's €39,55 (about $48). Drifus was going to go Florence to Siena by bus. I don't have a fare for it, but it is not free. I used €5,60, which is the fare by regional train. It's close to the bus fare, and he might want to use the train, anyway.

For the EuroStar, it is €29.44 from Rome to Florence. Florence to Siena is €10,- via the ES*Link (optional). For a return via EuroStar, you go back to Florence via the "Link", then back to Rome - same fares in reverse - €78,88 or about $95.

But I agree. Buy the tickets over there.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:45 PM

"Deja,

The fares are 2nd class. I got them right off of Trenitalia; check them yourself."

No need to be snippy. I didn't see any reference to any route in this thread and didn't realize you were adding up multiple destinations both ways.
Mar 28th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Deja,
not trying to be snippy.

Drifus started three threads on this subject, as pointed out in the third response by WallyKringen. I just happened to notice it and wondered about what route we were talking about, so I clicked on Drifus, and found the first thread - and the route.

But, if you didn't know the route, why did you conclude that my fares must be for 1st class?

Mar 28th, 2006, 03:32 PM
MaureenB

Just to clarify re: BETS. I have used them three times and have never once bought a rail pass, only point to point as that was more economical. One exception: the Prague Pass which only they knew how to use from Vienna and back to Munich (the portions over the borders are tricky).

Mar 28th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Maureen,

I see no way on their website that you can price point to point tickets. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

Do you just have to call them and ask for the price?
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:01 PM

Larry - You can call BETS at the numbers mentioned above. You can't price point to point from the website as far as I know. Since many people have trouble with RailEurope and Trenitalia websites, BETS is a helpful option.
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for your postings and for all of your time. I am embarassed by the multiple threads and apologize for appearing impatient. My computer has been less than stellar lately and my threads were not appearing as having been sent. Of course, I see all three now. Figures!

I have decided just to buy the tickets there. If worse came to worse, I could always hitchike (SP?)...just kidding!
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

FINALLY! I deleted some cookies from my desktop and POOF....it worked! Thanks for your patience and advice!