Holiday rental in London for 6?

Mar 28th, 2006, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Holiday rental in London for 6?

I'm getting dizzy surfing for budget accommodation for 5 - 7 days in central London for my family of 6 in early May. A hotel seems out of the question, but even a budget self-catering holiday apartment/flat seems to be over 200 pounds per night. I've checked out all of the past links offered by helpful Fodorites. Does anyone have a golden tip for me? 2-bedroom is OK (3 is preferable); cooking facilities and Tube proximity are important; luxury is not. Thank you!
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:50 AM

I rather doubt if you will find anything to accommodate 6 for under 200 pounds/night. You might want to consider upping your lodging budget and cutting back on something else.

For comfortable (not luxury) accommodations we have stayed at Scala House several times. They have 2 bedrooms and 1 full bath and 1 with just toilet & sink (with 6 people that would be a Godsend I'd think).

While it is a little over your budget space wise it would work. They can also put a folding cot or two in the living room. The larger bedroom can have either a king bed or twins. The small bedroom is very small with just one double bed, closet & small desk. The kitchen is a full kitchen with stove, fridge, dishwasher, microwave, all pots/pans/dishes/silverware, as well as a small washer/dryer etc. There is also a safe in the large bedroom closet.

The Goodge St. tube stop is around the corner (Northern Line) and you can walk to the British Museum. There is a Tesco grocery store across the street and other stores nearby.

It is not luxury living but thqt does not seem important to you which is why even tho it may be above your budget I'd recommend it. The owners are delightful people as are the staff. The bldg. is large, with an elevator and someone mans the front desk/lobby 24 hrs a day (it is locked late at night tho). We have found the location very convenient.
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:59 AM

Hi jenviolin,
Have a look at
www.londontown.com
There are plenty of places that will do rooms for 3 and the prices are about £70 odd per room.

Have a look, you should be able to get 2 rooms for under your budget.
I have not used them, but maybe someone here has.
Good Luck
Muck
Mar 28th, 2006, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks - I've already checked out the Scala - still hoping for more! Can't imagine what we'd cut back on, certainly not theatre or bookstores!
Mar 28th, 2006, 04:46 PM

Maybe you need to compromise on location - and stay somplace out in the burbs that would be less - although given tube fare for 6 I don;t know how much that would help. But what you want is only 33 pounds per person - I don;t know if you can even get a good hostel for that.
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:03 PM

We stayed here w/ my daughter's senior class trip in September 2004. We found it very adequate. The cost for a quad is 95GBP/night. Trip Advisor has positive reviews as well. http://www.alhambrahotel.com/index.html
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:06 PM

the Scala was no-frills, but a great neighborhood for restaurants. I would definitely go back. We stayed there with my family of 6 in 2001.
Mar 28th, 2006, 05:52 PM

Don't know what the age range of your family is but you could get three Priceline rooms at a 4* hotel for under 200 GBP per night. That wouldn't fill the cooking facilities requirement however.

You said you've checked out all of the links so I guess it would be rendundant to mention that a very regular poster frequently mentions E&E Apts which has a 3 BR penthouse for 1200 GBP a week. It's not my first choice for a neighborhood but others like it just fine (Victoria/Pimlico).

Less than 200 GBP for a family of 6 is stretch. Hope you find it and please report back if you do!