Reload this Page >

Is sea-sickness a factor in Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:21 AM
nancy

I this might sound like a strange question, but my husband gets a little queasy on boats. Does anyone have experience with this when traveling to Venice? We would like to take a water taxi from the airport and will be riding the Vaporettos as well as one gondola ride.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Louisa

If you think it might be a problem I would recommend taking a packet of Gravol with you. Even if it's not needed you'd have it just incase as people have mentioned that it can be hard to find brands you'd get at home in pharmacies/chemists.<BR><BR>Happy travels and good luck!!<BR><BR>Louisa

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 10:47 AM
Mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>no need to worry.<BR><BR>No seasickness factor in Venice !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:07 AM
xxx

I also suffer from sea-sickness. This was my experience with Venice:<BR><BR>Most of the canals are very calm without any waves. I had no problems riding in a gondola or vaporettos.<BR><BR>An exception to the water calmness is the Grand Canal, which can get very choppy. However, you would probably notice this choppiness only in a gondola (vaporettos are more stable), and you can always tell the gondolier to move to calmer waters.<BR><BR>Regarding the trip to the airport: I took a water taxi there. Most of this trip was on what seemed to be open sea, and the taxi seats were very close to the water. The trip made me feel a little queasy, and I was glad it ended when it did.<BR><BR>If seasickness is a concern for your husband, I suggest taking a Dramadine (or similar medication) before taking the airport water taxi.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:25 AM
x

the boat can be closed up, and the lagoon and grande canal can indeed be choppy - suggest 50 mg. dramamine. Why not be safe!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 11:52 AM
k

you can buy a package of dramamine pills at any local drug store. try your luck on the canals during the first day then if you feel seasick take the pills

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:31 PM
A Pharmacist

Remember Dramamine only works before you get seasick. If you are already sick you must get to dry land and take it, otherwise it could take 2 doses to work (4-6 hours). You best bet would be to ask your Dr. for a prescription for Transderm-Scop. It is a patch worn behind the ear and be put on and taken off if needed. Tip_Put in back on the original backing or on a piece of wax paper to keep it active). It can cause some drowsiness but not as much as Dramamine. <BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 12:36 PM
ca

I don't suffer from sea-sickness but I couldn't stand to lng on the vaporetto platforms..I got woozy.

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Suzanne

NO, you cannot get seasick on the vaporetti. The ride is mostly smooth and point-to-point. Since the routes are all within the Veneto, there is no travel on the "open sea" so the waters aren't too choppy. It is best to stay inside the boat and look out the windows to avoid any queasiness. We sat out on the open deck and that might poise a slight problem since you bob up and down with the boast as it meanders about the Grand Canal. Enjoy Venezia and don't forget to take vaporetti # 12 to the island of Murano to buy some famous glass!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 01:29 PM
x

I have to laugh at the comment you can't get sea sick on vaporetti - maybe you haven't riden one when the lagoon was rough. By the way, old wive's take that Dramamine makes you drousy. Take it 30-60 mins. before you begin the trip. Being sick is horrible!

Old Sep 24th, 2002, 03:45 PM
seasick girl

I get motion sickness real easy! I was OK on the vaporetto, but agree with the above poster, the moving platform you wait on for the vaporetto was a little iffy. Never took a water taxi or gondola, so can't comment.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:29 AM
Alice Twain

I get seasick real quick too and experienced some discomfort on a vaporetto, but I must say that the average ride takes but a few minutes, half an hour at worst, so even withouth dramamine I was fine, since I could get off the vaporetto before I really got sick.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:32 AM
xxx

Dramadine has a "non-drowsy" version that is sold in most supermarkets and pharmacies.<BR><BR>Ignore the comments on this page about sea-sickness not being a problem in Venice. People who do not suffer from this problem do not realize the effect that even slight waves can have on vulnerable people. <BR><BR>Fortuntely, most of Venice's canals are completely without waves, so you can enjoy most of your trip without worry. The only times Dramadine would be necessary are before taking the trip to the airport, and also if you want to take a long vaporetto ride on the Grand Canal. (For short vaporetto rides sea-sickness would probably not be a problem.)

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 06:22 AM
g

Here is another, I started feeling queasy on the dock waiting for the different boats. Was fine on the boats themselves.<BR><BR>I had to stand away from the dock until we were ready to get onto the boat.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 07:13 AM
CE

While I have not yet been to Venice (but will soon), I have done my time on ships and boats. What I have discovered is that seasickness is not a matter of IF, but WHEN it will occur. And everyone has their own "water choppiness" zone where they are susceptible.<BR>For those unprepared (no medicine), I would suggest a few "home" remedies: ginger snaps; salty pretzels; even peppermint gum (although not well) can settle the stomach. Eating can also take your mind off the seasickness.<BR>Definitely, do not fight the motion of the boat, but try to move with it(let it "toss" you about), as harsh as the ride may get. Do laps around the boat using only your hands to guide you around, i.e. do not look where you are stepping, since there is ALWAYS some place to hold onto the boat (handrail, column,etc.). This is an extension of the "focus on the horizon" thing and the "keep your mind occupied on something else" thing.<BR>Mind you, these are not gonna help much if you're doing a 5-hour whale watch, but will do in a pinch for most short rides. They usu. work for me.<BR><BR>Good Luck!<BR>

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 08:41 AM
Dori

My doctor recommended a product - Bodine - I believe it is called. It's over the counter. I just got back from Italy and used it several times when I first started to feel a little motion sickness. One pill lasts 24 hours, no side effects. And it works, for me anyway, when I start to feel a little ill so it doesn't necessarily have to be taken in advance.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:29 PM
Terry

If the movement of the boat doesn't make him feel sick the price of the water taxi might!