Venice Water Taxi: a different kind of quetion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This isn't one of those airport/train station questions, nor is it a water taxi vs vaporetto question.

Our friends are staying near the Gigli vaporetto stop, and we are in Cannareggio.

These people want luxury all the way and all the time. I don't see them going anywhere on foot as one has problems walking, and I can't imagine them on the vaporetto.

SO: has anyone ever used a water taxi or taxi service just to get around Venice? Will the taxis do that or do they only want longer runs?

If you know of any place I can look up fares for them, or can guesstimate some fares, I would appreciate it.

There are three of them and they will split all the taxi fares. They are only staying for a couple of days.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM

http://www.veneziataxi.it/english/main.html

There's no real information on the Web site, but you can use "Contact Us" to ask questions.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
lyb

In all honesty, if they do not or cannot walk, they will have problems in Venice. There are places that you simply have to walk to even from a canal...and though the water taxis might do it, I didn't notice a way to just hail a taxi.

Have they or you ever been to Venice?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
deja vu?

#-o

Ann
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Venice isn't a &quot;walk to the curb and hail a passing cab&quot; sort of place. They <u>will</u> have to walk. I second the question - any them ever been before?
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 03:38 PM

You need to walk or hire a water taxi for about 100E per hour.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:51 PM

Venice is a walking city. Many of the smaller back canals are too small/shallow for water taxis. And even when you land you may need to walk several blocks to whatever you want to see.

Also - this will be very expensive - since if you want the taxi for the whole day (rather than picking one up at various points) they will have to charge you for a whole day's fares - several hundred dollars at least.

I hate to be discouraging - but if someone can't easily walk several blocks between sights they really won;t be able to navigate Venice without a wheelchair.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

None of them have been to Venice. They will only be there a couple of days and their hotel has a boat dock.

I have been to Venice many times. I know that walking is the way to go, and I plan on walking. However, I think my friends would prefer to get a taxi to restaurants not close to San Marco.

I was just wondering, as I said, if anyone had taken a taxi for a distance shorter than the usual entry and departure points.

Zerlina, thanks so much for the website.

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Why not get their/your hotel to arrange?
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

suze

We also plan to do that. Again, I was wondering if among so many Venice fans, anyone had done this. Apparently not.

I was hoping to give them a rough of estimate of cost and ease or difficulty of hire.

The board seems to think that hire for their needs is difficult or unheard of, and that they can't go anywhere in Venice by boat for under 100 euros.

I still have my doubts about all that, so I will write to their hotel.

Most of us here on Fodors prefer to do things the local way, or to immerse ourselves in our surroundings.

Not everyone has such preferences. Over the years, I've worked with many people who want to be pampered and carted about. It's just different from the way we Fororites do it, but my guess is that there is a large population of the &quot;others&quot; who would think we were doing it the &quot;wrong&quot; way.

I was with my dad, sitting on a bench along the Riva Schivoni, just enjoying the passing scene. We had dinner reservations for 4 at a good casual trattoria.

As we sat, he saw a golfing friend from home. We chatted for a few moments, and my father invited the golfing buddy and his wife to join us for dinner. The guy told us to meet him at his hotel. I think it was the Danieli.

We were all neatly dressed but completely out of place in the crowded pre-dinner Danieli lobby. The women were all decked, with jewels and high heels and fancy dresses.

The golf guy and his wife came off the elevator, with her looking quite snappy but quite unhappy. It seems she would not go to a casual but good trattoria if her life depended on it. She wanted top priced everything.

So they sent us on our way without them.

Now I just have to believe that someone like that would take a water taxi to there ultra fancy dinner spot.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Tuscanlifeedit - Unfortunately have no personal experience to offer but I share your suspicion that it is indeed both possible and routine to hire a water taxi to get from place to place in Venice.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

LAwoman, I sincerely thank you for that response.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:39 PM

I would imagine many people do what your friends would like to do.I imagine you could hire a taxi for the day or the evening.I would check with the Hotel Bauer or Daniel for advice.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM

I know people take gondolas to La Fenice particularly for opening night (can't remember where I read that).

But, half-seriously if someone cannot walk almost at all, I wonder if the best solution would be a rickshaw, considering Venice's unique layout.

Otherwise, I'm sure if the price is right you could hire someone in a boat, whether or not it's a water taxi, to take you to various drop-off points. But even so, you will still have to walk.

Here's a link for hiring a water taxi in Venice by the hour, with reduced rates for longer rentals:
http://www.veniceguideandboat.it/hourhire.htm