Is Romania safe for Gays?

Oct 4th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Brad

Is Romania safe for Gays?

I have just read that it is unsafe for homosexuals to travel to Romania and that your average Romanian is enraged over Bush's appointment of a gay ambassador, Michael Guest (whom I've met at a Log Cabin Republican luncheon)?

Oct 4th, 2001, 01:42 PM
Santa Chiara

What? Shrub knowingly appointed a gay ambassador? Oh, Lord, take me now.

Oct 4th, 2001, 01:56 PM
Capo

Brad, I found this October 3rd article; scroll down to the heading "envoy defended."

http://www.washtimes.com/world/20011003-21037122.htm

It says that the Romanian Foreign Ministry has defended Mr. Guest against criticism of his homosexuality and goes on to note that the Romanian government is reacting to a campaign being waged against Mr. Guest by Romanian Cradle, an "ultra-nationalist group". Now, whether or not this Romanian Cradle group has a lot of support among average Romanians, I have no idea, but one would hope not.

Oct 4th, 2001, 02:03 PM
xxx

Santa: Shrub? You should talk with that genius Berlusconi running things in Italy. Make me laugh. We haven't forgotten his foot in mouth statements of last week regarding Muslims.

Oct 4th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Santa Chiara

Ahem, xxx. That was tongue in cheek, as opposed to foot in mouth. I am from Texas. I know Shrub. I now live in Italy. I know Berlusconi.

My response to Brad was a flippant answer to a serious question. I am sorry if I offended Brad. I am not sorry if I offended you.

Oct 4th, 2001, 02:17 PM
Capo

Speaking of Berlusconi, F.Y.I....

"Silvio Berlusconi performs damage control in meeting with Muslim officials"

http://nandotimes.com/special_report...-1279179c.html

Oct 5th, 2001, 05:52 AM
snorkelman

Man, I honestly have flown over Romania once (from hungary to bulgaria) because of the horrow stories that I had heard. I think that Romania has probably one of the worst reputations for safety in Europe. I do not know whether it is warranted or not, but regardless of your sexual preference, i think you should keep in mind that many people have reported that ROmania can be very dangerous for travelers.

Oct 5th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Sjoerd

I am gay and have been to Romania for work at least 10 times this and last year. I am still alive.
Romania "legalised" homosexuality just last year. There are some gay groups and bars, but it is a conservative society. Probably as safe for gay people as Texas or Wyoming.

Oct 5th, 2001, 07:43 AM
marta

We are welcoming here the USA homosexual persons.You can come to Count Dracula bar"The Velvet Spike"and meet nice Romanians.

Oct 5th, 2001, 06:50 PM
frank

Sjoerd - any reviews for the velvet spike??
You don't have to go to Romania to find homophobics.Try Ireland.Romania is nothing special.

Oct 9th, 2001, 09:29 PM
xxxxxxxx

All the threads removed and you are keeping this one ?