Is Nice nice to fly home from?

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 05:36 PM
pam

Is Nice nice to fly home from?

Really need some help here.My family and I will be staying in St. Remy at the end of our trip this summer. We need to know if it is best to fly to CDG from there and then home to JFK or to try and fly home from Nice.
Could you please tell me about how far time-wise Nice is from St. Remy? Originally we were going to drop off our rental car (not arranged as yet) the night before we leave but perhaps it would be possible to drive to the airport in Nice and leave the car there.
Appreciate your help/suggestions.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Rex

Nice is certainly a "nice enough" to fly into (I've flown Strasbourg-Nice) an picked up passengers arriving from Paris. But of course, I can't say about how it might be different since September 11.

Driving from St Remy to Nice is 153 mi in 2h 20 (including 137 mi by motorway in 1h 51) - - per www.viamichelin.com - - and I feel like any confident driver could do it in that or maybe less.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 06:33 PM
Auleen

Pam, We flew into Nice a couple of years ago. It was a fine airport and easy to get around. I don't know what time your flight back would be, but we are also flying out of Nice in May after a circuitous trip in Europe. Our plane leaves at 7:00am! I would not like having to try to find the car rental place and leave the car at 6:00am or earlier. They might not be open--be sure to check this. We have elected to take a cab from our hotel in Nice--it's only about 15 to 20 minutes at the most. Well worth the $10 or $15 to us. You might want to consider staying in the city overnight.
I hope you love St. Remy as much as we did!

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:21 PM
NotasNiceasNice

Have you considered flying out of
Marignane Aeroport near Marseille?

Not sure if they do flights to the US
but they certainly arrive from all
over - and there are shuttles to CDG
leaving often.

Old Mar 20th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Rex

And if you're contemplating a connector flight to Paris, MPL (Montpellier)-to-Paris is cheap often times, and very easy to get in and out of. Small but very modern airport. Think BWI. But no trans-atlantic, of course (unlike BWI).

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:38 AM
pam

Thanks to Rex and all for your informative replies. Will check out your suggestions.
Merci. (guess my PImsleur tapes are helping).
Au revoir

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:26 PM
FLJudi

We find Nice easy to fly in and out of. We have an 8AM flight from there in June. There is a hotel across the street from the airport with 24 hour shuttle service (you can even walk to terminal 1) - Hotel Novotel Nice Arenas Aeroport. You can turn in car night before and take shuttle in AM. I just verified 24 hour shuttle. Price just quoted was $87for a couble. We stayed there last year and it was fine - more a businessman's US style hotel.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:45 PM
Rex

Yes, Pam, your tapes really are helping. I could really hear the difference in your "merci"!

Meilleurs voeux,

Rex

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:53 PM
HRH

I would definitely vote for Nice. Just flew out of there this morning as a matter of fact. very easy, small airport, easy to get into/out of.

it's a two hour drive from St. Remy. for a pretty drive, take the D5 until you start seeing the blue autoroute signs for Aix (not Marseille). zippa dee doo dah, there you are. no probs whatsoever.

also, rental car returns are at TERMINAL 2. This isn't very clearly marked, but very easy to rectify if you make a mistake. dump the car, pick up the shuttle, off you go - it's a 5 minute drive to Terminal 1.

to get back to CDG is a 3 hour TGV ride from Avignon. Again, not a tough thing to do. goes right into CDG.

so it's your choice! if you can give yourself one day in Nice you won't be unhappy, either.

HRH

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:15 PM
gigi

I'm looking for a hotel near Nice airport, I read about "Novotel Arenas", do you have any other suggestions ?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:24 PM
gigi

Can you tell me how much time we are requested to arrive before the departure of our flight in Nice ?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:47 PM
gigi

Can you tell me how much time we are requested to arrive before the departure of our flight in Nice ?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 03:58 PM
Boots

For Gigi:
I flew KLM out of there to Amsterdam to US on Monday. KLM requested I be there one hour in advance.
Boots

Old Mar 22nd, 2002, 08:28 AM
topping

to the top

Old Apr 21st, 2002, 12:01 PM
John H

Pam,

Nice airport is easy to fly into and out of. If you are going from Nice to NY-JFK, Delta has a non-stop flight on that route (Air France codeshare, I believe).

I belive it was the Novotel I stayed at about 5 years ago. Nothing special, functional, but good location for an early morning flight.

Have a great trip.

John H.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
jjj

Flew home from Nice last October. Very easy airport to get around in.

As for how early to be there, have the conceriege(sp?) at your hotel give them a call, he did that for us last year, he can also confirm your flights for you.

If you have an early flight, also have him contact the Car Drop off place, because they do not all open early. Last year our plane left at 6:00am, was told to be there 1.5-2 hrs early. Got there at 4:15AM, and the place was DESERTED, there was very few lights on and only a couple other early travelers who got up too early too. The Counter Staff for our 6am flight did not even start arriving until 5am and did not open the check in gates until about 5:20

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 07:23 AM
Kim

My husband and I flew out of Nice just two weeks ago and found it to be a very easy airport. We stayed the night before in Eze and had no problem driving down the mountain for the 10:30 a.m. flight to JFK. The airport is relatively small, we had no trouble turning in our rental car, jumping on the shuttle, etc.

Old Apr 22nd, 2002, 03:36 PM
pam

Haven't looked back at this thread for awhile and want to thank everyone for the needed information.
I have tickets and am flying out of Nice on the non-stop which John suggested. Yes, it is operated by Delta for Air France and leaves the same time daily. I only hope the car drop off is convenient. I am renting through auto europe and will look into exactly where their drop-off might be.
Thanks again all!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:35 AM
xxx

Any comments on the airport, car rental company...

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 05:31 PM
pam

Auto Europe has a very convenient drop-off there. If they are not open (too early,etc) you are allowed to drop off the car and put the keys to it in a secure drop box they have.
Sounds good.