Is Naples crime that bad?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My boss just returned from a trip to Italy that included a day trip to Naples. He said his driver was not thrilled about going to Naples because the crime was so bad and that he even asked my boss's wife to remove and hide her jewelry (gold watch and bracelet, no major obvious stones) because someone would rip it right off her wrist.
I was planning our next trip and am now wondering if Naples should be skipped. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
Thanks and happy holidays,
Lisa S
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:33 AM

If you avoid New York, Detroit, Chicago, Miami, Los Angeles, and every other major city because of crime rates, then yes, I would cancel plans to visit Naples.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:34 AM
ira

Hi Lisa,

>I was planning our next trip and am now wondering if Naples should be skipped.<

I hope that you are still planning.

My wife and I spent 3 days in Naples last year. It is worth the visit.

Your driver was right about loose jewelry - not a good idea anywhere.

You might find the Naples part of my trip report helpful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34451044

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 05:37 AM

Lisa - Naples is one of the most vibrant cities in Italy. Not to be missed IMO!

But ... take the usual precautions you would for any big city.
Don't walk around with your wallet sticking out of your pocket or an expensive camera or bag over your shoulder.

And yes - don't wear expensive jewellery. It's asking for trouble ( - I've seen it happen).

Steve
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 06:23 AM

Have been to Italy a number of times in the past 30 years and do feel that
Naples has been getting bad pub ever since WW2. There have been many excellant and favorable posts on Naples in this and other forums.. Patrick and Steve hit the nails on the head. Richard of LaGrange Park, Il.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 09:22 AM

Met a guy from Naples when I was in Positano- He said he is even concerned about his safety and does not recommend anyone to go there- even though that is his home. He also said jewelry was a major target.

I got lost there on my way to Sorrento-it was a little spooky....and I am a New Yorker.

Skip it and go to Sorrento- Positano- Amalfi- Ravello.....all beautiful places with nice- non-threatening people.

Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 12:09 PM

For every trip......leave your jewelry home. It isn't necessary to wear it. Spend your time enjoying the trip and not thinking about losing your jewelry. I don't think any city should be missed because of crime (except where there is war) Naples is pretty low on my list of favorite cities, but as I mentioned before....every city is worth a visit at least once.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:30 PM

Absolutely visit Naples! As someone else wrote, it is a vibrant and vivacious city filled with wonderful people, superb food, good humor, and of course crime. What city or small town USA doesn't have crime? The archeological museum is filled with treasures, the art museum sits on a hill overlooking the city below...yum. Go, go, go!
Carol L
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:45 PM

My experience wasn't so great the first time, there have been a couple threads on this very issue. Here are excerpts from my adventures: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2 AND http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2

However, that said, I have some very good family friends that live in the Vomero district of Naples and I liked it there. I re-explored the city with them and enjoyed it this time around. I would say go, however, be very mindful of your surroundings and don't wear/carry/display anything too flashy or touristy as you might get targeted for theft.
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 03:53 PM

Not sure why my threads didn't copy over, will try again below. If not, then type in "Naples" and you should see the various topics re: pickpockets, etc.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threadselect.jsp?fid=2
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 04:23 PM

Naples was not my favorite destination, either, and I lived in NYC and rode the subway daily. However, over the last few months, there has been a gang war which has caused concern throughout Italy. Here is a link to a recent report about it:
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/eu...aly.naples.ap/
Old Dec 22nd, 2004, 10:05 PM

Thanks for the link to the report on the recent Camorra wars- Its good to read of a courageous woman like Silvana Fucito standing up to them.

Pickpocketing is certainly a concern, and its wise to take precautions as suggested here, in Naples and in Rome, as well as other large cities. But Naples offers such an array of rewarding possibilities to visitors, like the world class Archeologocal Museum holdiing most of the treasures of Pompeii.

The Camorra wars are an entirely different subject, that's about criminal turf battles, not to be confused with targeting tourists and tourist sites.

I am looking forward to seeing this amazing, lively city once again on my spring trip to Italy. After reading the article, I would probably know not to wander around the streets of the Scampia area, not being a resident. I feel the same way about some neighborhoods of my home town of New York City, but we get thousands of tourists here year round who enjoy themselves!
Naples is a fascinating place, and I hope you do visit!

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 03:45 AM

Naples was one of the filthiest, seediest cities that I have ever visited with the worst driving chaos I have encountered. (Only Mombasa, Kenya made me feel this leery!) Luckily, one of the days we were there was a Sunday when most stores were closed and traffic not too bad. We visited the Archeological Museum and it was wonderful but no way are we returning to Naples. Once was enough for us.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 03:55 AM

I was not impressed with Naples and understand now why it gets such bad press.

Expend your time and money on the many other wonderful cities in Italy.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 05:32 AM
ira

>...the worst driving chaos I have encountered.<

I think that keeping the traffic lights on blinking yellow most of the day contributes to that - or, maybe, it's appropriate.

However, it is possible to cross the streets on foot. Step off boldly, maintain course and speed and *do not* watch the cars. About the same as in Rome and Paris.

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 08:06 AM

I was in Naples a few years back with a friend and her relatives who live in a suburb of Naples. Although we did visit some nice places and archiological sites, I'm in no hurry to go back. We never felt threatened being with her large, male cousins but I did find it a somewhat depressing place and with so many other beautiful places, I wouldn't waste my precious vacation time. I'd head for the Amalfi Coast and visit Pompeii from there.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 09:17 AM

Naples is OK, but its attractions don't nearly rival those of better known Italian destinations. It is more gritty than other large Italian cities, but not more vibrant than Rome and Milan, for example. You don't have to go all the way to Italy to find a city whose major attractions are activity, grittiness, and good pizza.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:20 AM

I don't get it- surely I'm missing something. We've been to Naples three times now and absolutely love the city. It has wonderful castles, great food, shopping, beautiful waterfront views- explore spaccanapoli, the spanish quarter, via Toledo, Capodimonte, the marble "shrouds" in Sansevero, take the funicular to the Vomero hill and see the castle, neighborhoods and famous views of vesuvius. The area from Chiaia to Posillipo is very beautiful. The Galleria Umberto is absolutely amazing- witness at night an incredible cross-shaped building with glass ceilings 10 stories above as kids kick soccer balls inside after the stores that line the interior close. Yes, the traffic is ridiculous, but amusing: in the midst of a tangled web of cars and vespas we spotted a vespa with a rear passenger pulling a pony down a main road. We rode in a taxi that drove the opposite direction in a roundabout- facing down cars coming our way- because our turnoff was closer to our left. We found people to be very friendly- we met university students and older lifelong residents alike that were warm and welcoming. Yeah, it's a crazy, bustling, and crowded city, but we never once felt unsafe. There are places I wouldn't go there, just as there are places in any other big city to avoid.
But I don't get it- I must be missing something. Sure, it's not your tranquil and quaint Tuscan hill village or your posh, touristy Positano (two places we also love), but Naples is the heart of Italy- it's sometimes rough, but beautiful and full of life, with great food and great people- like Italy iself. And most of all you come to appreciate Naples because it's real.
I say to those who have never been to Naples- you haven't been to Italy until you see Naples. I say to those who visited and vow never to return- go again, with an open mind, give it another chance and experience the real Italy.
Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 10:35 AM
ira

>...Naples is the heart of Italy- it's sometimes rough, but beautiful and full of life, with great food and great people- like Italy iself. And most of all you come to appreciate Naples because it's real. <

Amen, Sister, Amen.

Old Dec 23rd, 2004, 02:31 PM

MarkDM: I went to Naples with an open mind, knowing full well it would be a gritty, bustling, chaotic city (as forewarned by my Italians friends in Florence and also friends in the Cinque Terre - who all hate the place!). It is nothing against the nice people I met there (and there were a lot); but unfortunately, it takes getting robbed in broad daylight, on a bus, that can taint one's view of the place. All the positive feelings I was trying to have for Naples banished with that incident. Naturally, I am a bit jaded about the place now; however, I returned a couple months ago and it was alright, but I still had that uncomfortable, uneasy feeling of always watching my surroundings constantly and being on edge (esp. with a young child in tow). I don't like being on-edge while on vacation, and have never felt that feeling in any other city in Italy -- except Napoli. Fortunately for me, my friends in Vomero (Napoli) have agreed to come down to Sorrento to meet me for future visits, rather than my going there. (BTW, I live in bustling Los Angeles, so I am certainly familiar with urban life).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -