Is Killarney worth visiting?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a 9 day trip planned to Ireland for this December. We will be in Limerick and I was thinking of visiting Killarney for the day. Keep in mind we wont be doing the ring of Kerry, should we still go for the night.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 03:58 AM

Yes. drive round Dingle on the way there or way back. Killarney will have some life in December and there is always the National Park, Gap of Dunloe and Muckross if you don't want to do the "Ring"
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM

I recently spent two weeks in Ireland, and spent two nights in Killarney. It's hard to answer your question of whether Killarney is worth visiting for the day, since I don't know your interests, preferences, etc.

We took the Gap of Dunloe tour, which included a bus, jaunting cart, and board ride. It took most of the day, and was one of the most memorable experiences we had. If you don't want to invest that much time, you can take a jaunting cart through Killarney National Park. Be sure you tell the jaunting cart driver that you want the 2 hour tour. They offer 1 hour tours but that's not nearly long enough. However, if you can do the Gap of Dunloe, I recommend that.

There is some decent shopping in Killarney, so if you are a shopper, there are some good opportunities there. I absolutely agree about driving the Dingle Peninsula.

The best advice I can give you is that if you are able to do so, stay at the Pax House in Dingle. It is, without doubt, the finest best and breakfast in which I have ever stayed. The views are magnificent, the breakfast is beyond belief (Hopefully, they'll have the pancakes with homemade chocolate sauce as a choice. Then again, there's the smoked salmon omelette. Oh, be sure to get the hot chocolate, which was the best I've ever had. The scones with cream, the full Irish, the heated fruit...they're all wonderful). How can you not love a place where they turn down your bed at night and leave chocolates? Yes, those really are heated floors in the bathrooms. Just go to Trip Advisor and read the reviews.

If you go to Dingle, and like traditional Irish music, Might Sessions had a great evening of music.

Just writing this makes me want to go back!!
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 02:50 PM

Do NOT compare Dingle Tourist season with Dingle December and Yes Pax house is the highest regarded B&B in the town, it might also be the most expensive B&B on the whole island.
Old Oct 11th, 2013, 06:50 PM

We were in Killarney in the month of May. We very much enjoyed touring Muckross House and hiking around Muckross Lake and through the Gap of Dunloe. I don't know that I'd enjoy it so much in December, however.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

So would you guys recommend that we skip December and go closer to summer.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 04:48 AM

The only thing you can say for sure is that you will have longer hours of light when you go in summer.
Otherwise I had bright, sunny crisp-clear December days in Ireland, and cool rainy summers. And vice versa.
As you probably won't see many tourist crowds in December, the advantage is that you wing it - and keep an eye on the daily forecasts of met.ie
The weather is not always the same on the whole island, but according from my anectodal experience, Limerick did not have the nicest weather with the clouds coming up the Shannon river, while just an hour away the sun or at least a mix of sun and clouds made for a perfect day.
If you have one or two bases, and do not need to follow a fixed agenda of different overnight stays, you can adjust your day trips at short notice.
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 06:04 PM

Lots of people deride Killarney as a "tourist" town, and it certainly is to a point. BUT, it is a great place to visit, lots of great pubs with music, even in the winter, good restaurants, shopping, and the beautiful scenic areas nearby. Just remember that the days are short in December! I have visited Killarney lots, at every time of year, and always have a good time!
Old Oct 12th, 2013, 06:14 PM

Yes it is worth visiting.!
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

we have a free hotel in limerick. for killaney and galway can we just do daytrips? are we missing out on not spending any nights in each of these places?
Old Oct 17th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Nice to see you have included the 6 & 10 year olds in the other question. puts things into a slightly different light.. Have answered on the other link.http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...m-limerick.cfm