Reload this Page >

Is Italy a place to take kids?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 1998, 02:59 PM
David

I am planning our vacation for next summer. My kids are 8 and 16. I'm the only one in our family that has been to Italy, but it's been on business. Where should I take them and what should we see/do to ensure 7 days of fun for all?

Old Oct 29th, 1998, 02:50 PM
Cheryl Z.

<BR>David, in answer to your heading, yes, Italy is very safe for children (using common sense as you would in any large city or unfamiliar place). It is a very family oriented culture. I think both your kids would love Rome. It might make their school history classes more interesting and meaningful. Have them learn a few basic words and phrases before you go. Have a great trip.

Old Oct 29th, 1998, 02:55 PM
kam

Italy is certainly "kid friendly". My only bit of advice would be to limit the amount of time spent in museums and let them have some fun discovering the people, the food and the language. Depending on their interests I could suggest a lot---it's a bit difficult just knowing the ages and not the interests. <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 1998, 04:38 AM
Paul Rabe

Just a thought (and I admit I am NOT a parent). Before you head for Rome, watch some movie spectacular about ancient Rome with your kids, a movie that includes some gladiator battles at the Colosseum ("Spartacus" or "Demetrius and the Gladiators" comes to mind). Then, when your kids get to Rome, they'll probably be excited about seeing the place where the gladiators really fought. Not the most uplifting reason for them to get excited, but don't expect them to be thrilled with hours of being quiet in a museum.

Old Nov 3rd, 1998, 09:13 AM
Joanne

Italy is indeed a place for kids. Two words of advice: (1) alternate "down" days with active days. Kids can't overload on culture the way adults do. (2) Use a guidebook and make up scavenger hunt questions for kids. Write them in a small notebook with pen attached. Their responses create a great little journal of their trip. (E.g., in which direction is the Leaning Tower of Pisa falling?) If your 16 year old thinks he/she is too old to do this, have him/her help the 8 year old. We've found that our kids, 15, 10 and 7, observe a lot doing this. <BR> <BR>We're returning to Paris, Nice, Florence, Cinque Terra, Montepulciano and Rome in March. Email me if you have specific questions. Have fun!!