Search

Is it worth visiting Greece in January?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it worth visiting Greece in January?

Hello,

My fiancee and I had planned a trip to Spain for our honeymoon in the third week of January. However, looking at the resurgence of the coronavirus across Europe (and Spain) and how Spain has handled this in the past with lockdowns, we are finding it a bit risky to stick to Spain and are now considering Greece. I understand the risk of rainy weather but apart from that, is there anything else to consider before planning for Greece?

Due to such short time for planning this trip, I would really appreciate any itinerary advice

Thanks!
Old Nov 25th, 2021, 11:53 PM

Personally I don’t think an island hopping trip in January is worth considering, but the Greek mainland might be worthwhile. Bear in mind that January and February are the coldest months in Greece, so in the mountains there may be snow. Athens even gets snow from time to time in January.

Another thing to bear in mind is the short daylight hours in January, with historic sites being on winter hours. That shouldn’t stop you going, and with careful planning visiting the sites and museums with few other tourists around would be a pleasure.
Old Nov 26th, 2021, 03:43 AM

As much as I love many places in the 'off' season, I would not go to Greece in winter. Especially the islands. While ferries run year round, the schedules are drastically cut so it would be harder to get around. Many, many places - hotels, restaurants, shops, museums - will be closed so your choices drastically cut. The 'beauty' of the Greek islands is the white architecture against the blue sky and the blue water. While you might get a sunny day, your chances of clouds/rain are much higher in winter than summer. I suppose Athens and some places inland would be better but I don't think enough better to make it worth while. For a winter trip to Europe I would stick to Spain (unless you are looking for winter weather, which it doesn't sound like you are). Especially Andalucia and other areas in southern Spain. I have not been to Italy any earlier in the year than March but some people say Sicily and other areas are pretty good in winter. Other than that I would suggest a city trip. London, Paris, Rome - they are great in any weather.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 08:44 AM

If you are interested in Historic sites and museums, January is a rather good choice.
Old Nov 27th, 2021, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input. From the feedback I've got here, on forums and online, I think we will just skip Greece. Do you feel Spain would be a safe option in terms of sudden restrictions? We are not too familiar with measures Spain has taken so far so it's really difficult to calculate the risk
Old Nov 28th, 2021, 06:01 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What are you expecting in the way of activities? Unless I was planning a totally city-centric honeymoon with lots of museums, galleries, and special meals I personally would not book a January honeymoon almost anywhere in Europe -- I'd be looking at the southern hemisphere or Hawaii or Mexico or someplace like that. Unfortunately covid eliminates a huge part of the southern hemisphere.

Have you maybe considered Sicily? Southern Spain or Sicily would at least give a chance of decent weather.