Search

Is it too late for good airfare in Apr.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it too late for good airfare in Apr.

Hello to all
I'm in shock at what they are asking for direct flights Jfk to Rome!
Only 3 airlines fly direct to Rome, Continental, Alitalia, and Delta.
Continental has no sales, Delta wants $1100
and Alitalia wants $1058. I need to fly on Apr. 1, 2004 and return on Apr. 17, and it seems all the bargain fares are already booked for the above airlines!
Is it too late for Feb. air sales?
Will they drop prices closer to the time I'm leaving?
websites I've tried: orbitz, autoeurope,travelocity, expedia, air gorilla, and a zillion other sites.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM

Still plenty of time, many airlines just came out w/Feb. specials. Just keep your eyes open. You may have to give up the direct flight idea though.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:01 AM
jenifer

You might want to check www.go-today.com. They have their Italy fly and drive (airfare from JFK to Rome + 7 days car rental) for $749 for those days. If you can leave one day earlier, it looks like you could save $200. I think you can extend the return flight at no extra charge, and these prices are before taxes and fees.

Also consider hotwire or priceline, though there you do give up the non-stop requirement. They may give you non-stop, or it may have 1 stop.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:02 AM

air france has a flight for $382 during that time frame. of course, it's not non- stop but i gotta believe that going directly to the airline webpages, you'll find some super saver fares (particularly leaving from JFK).
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:12 AM

and i just found a delta direct flight to rome from JFK (on delta's website in black and white) for $418.

you gotta use some initiative and diligence when dealing with airfares!
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it!
Jennifer
I already looked at gotoday.com and I saw the flight and car deal but the car is to small for 4 adults and I have already booked with autoeurope for 15 days.
Subcon
I really need a direct flight, I am hoping that if I wait something will come through. I've been to almost all the airline websites and I won't take two or three flights to get to Italy. And their charging $850-950 anyway. Most of the bargain flights come as booked for Apr. 1st.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Subcon
How did you get that price? I've been on Delta for 3 weeks now, checking every day for sales?
Where did you see the fare? Was it under sales? I even called Delta and they said all reduced fares were booked for that day.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Just checked again and the fare you mentioned is to Milan. I don't see anything listed for Rome except out of Atlanta.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Orbitz says Delta has non stop flights that day for $769
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:47 AM

go to "special offers"

there is a subset "special fares from nyc/ jfk"

scroll and scroll and you'll find your $418 fare to rome.

and don't let the computer tell you they're booked. call delta direct (i normally call at about 6am). i'll bet 50/50 that you'll get your seats.

good luck.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 11:54 AM

Airfare prices are just as stable as the stock market. They find all the suckers that think purchasing early = cheaper prices then they lower the price to fill some last minute empty seats. April is right around Spring Break time so don't think about any deals around that time anyway. I usually book my trips 3 weeks in advanced and always find a deal. I would say you should gamble and wait a few weeks before booking. I think I waited a max 2 weeks to book my flights from Ohare to Rome and Schipol to Rome.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:06 PM
jenifer

kerrie - Even if you've already booked a car rental somewhere else, if you can get an air/car deal for significantly less than air alone it's worth buying. Just don't pick up the rental car.

But, the deal that subcon found is much better anyway, if you can get it.

Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Subcon
I appologize my mistake! I went back too Delta and lo and behold! there was another area that you could go into. I checked and when you book the flight it comes up as $1553 per person, so I called Delta again and the seats are sold out. I'm not having very good luck with this.
Grimmy
I will go to the other website and look at the $749 but I'm sure that will be closer to $950 by the time they add all the taxes and surcharges!
Bigfeat
I think I'll take your suggestion and wait and see if I can get a better price. MY feeling was always that the closer you get to leaving the more they reduce the price to get the planes full.
Well, thank you to all you have given me some useful suggestions
Thanks again Kerrie
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 12:31 PM

i give up...
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM

Well, my New Year's resolution is to become psychic (work-related ), but the best I can guess is that you are out of luck if your dates and willingness to take a non-direct flight are truly not flexible. *shrug* You might just have to pay the high fare or not go.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:13 PM

I think it's too early for good airfares. give it a few weeks or even a month.
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 01:17 PM

Just another thought, do you HAVE to travel out of JFK? What about Newark? Continental has direct flights from Newark to Rome on the dates you specified for $821.12 (this includes taxes, by the way).
Old Jan 30th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Mamma Love
Thanks for the info, I'll see about that Continental flight. I may have to book it after all but not until I'm sure I can't get anything cheaper. You have all been so helpful. I do appreciate your time and consideration. I'll post when I decide what I'm going to do. Who knows, I could be lucky tommorrow!
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:52 AM
tmh

I've seen other posters talk about 1800flyeurope.com with success. I just checked your dates and the flights are $633. However, they fly out of Newark (must be Continental); they may be direct but aren't non-stop; and you don't see who is the carrier I guess til you purchase.

They differ from Priceline as they tell you the departing and arrival time so if you're familiar with carriers and their schedules, you may be able to guess. (It's easy here in Dallas when it's a non-stop anywhere.)
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 10:17 AM

I have been on the standard internet sites looking for airline travel to Rome from Atlanta for a month - with lowest price so fas $821 - now today thanks to this site I checked out 1-800FlyEurope for $565 !!! I'm so excited and now scared. Has anybody else done business with them ? They "can't" issue a paper ticket - so what are my concerns here. Any info would be appreciated. This internet is so cool - some tiny bit of info and off you go on another direction...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -