Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it ok if we don't fit in when we go to Paris? (Fashion)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2005, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we go to France in November, I started to think about what to pack. I don't do high fashion and I don't own a Hermes Scarf but I don't dress trashy but not very sophisticated in my daily life...

My husband and I are chubby and I certainly don't look french but I do speak and write it fluently with an Acadien accent...LOL

I wear sneakers when walking all day (like we will do in France) and smarter shoes for Dinner out...I wear jeans and beige pants, cotton shirts and carry a small backpack...I will not doubt look like a tourist with my camera out every 2 minutes to take another photos.

I see a lot of posts on what to wear to not look too touristy but I want to know why this is a BAD thing.

People will know right away that we are Canadian. We will be at all the touristy places...
What is the main reason to dress to fit in? Is it security from thieves? Is it so the French won't roll their eyes at our lax fashion sense? Should I really try to fit in more? Will it make the trip more enjoyable?
I have already taken Sweatshirt off my list and will go with sweater for warmth instead of comfy sweat...I don't ever do track pants so is jeans and cotton pants ok? I will give up my fleece jacket if I will stand out too much...but it is so warm.

Just open for info and a discussion...

Old May 21st, 2005, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

By the way...we are Husband 36 and me 33...

Thanks
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM
ira

Hi bear,

>Should I really try to fit in more?

Of course. The fashion police will haul you away if you don't.

>I will give up my fleece jacket..

I don't think that Paris gets *that*cold in Nov.

Enjoy your visit.

Old May 21st, 2005, 12:04 PM

Good manners count more than wardrobe or style. Greeting everyone from shopkeepers with a hello and goodbye in French can get you far.
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:08 PM
eri

Do you honestly think that anyone in Paris carries what you wear?
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM
Original Poster

I don't understand the ?
"Do you honestly think that anyone in Paris carries what you wear?"

Are you asking me if I think te stores in France will carry the kind of clothes I wear at home? or are you asking me if I think people will care what I wear?

Old May 21st, 2005, 12:12 PM

Short answer: Yes.

A sweater is more versatile and practical than a sweatshirt for travel anyway. Most practical of all: cashmere, because it's exceptionally warm for the weight and looks good.

Scarves do not have to be Hermes or any other designer to make you look more dressed up and pulled together. I always take a few -- it's nice to have the variety when living with a limited wardrobe, and they weigh nothing and take up no space at all.

I suggest taking a pair of black jeans. All the comfort and casualness of denim, but you can get away with wearing them in the evening with a nicer shirt or sweater, and a nicer pair of shoes than your sneakers.

If you love your fleece, take it. I wouldn't, but only because it's bulky and again, not versatile enough. You wouldn't want to wear it to a nicer restaurant. On the other hand, two years ago we were in England in May and it was cold and rainy for 18 days straight. I ended up buying a cheap fleece jacket at a street market and was very happy (and warm) to have it.
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:19 PM

Ira's first comment is correct. The fashion police will haul you away. Of course not!

From what you describe as being your normal dress, that's what you should wear in France.

That's really nice that you know to speak fluent French! Have a nice trip.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:29 PM

"My husband and I are chubby and I certainly don't look french but I do speak and write it fluently with an Acadien accent...LOL'

I thought only Americans were chubby?

Chubby is such a dismissive word. I prefer "big-boned" or "calorie challenged" for myself.

And seriously, getting the french to roll thier dark, swarmy eyes is great fun and not very hard. And don't be too quick to disgard the track pants, they can come in handy when being chased by the fashion police! As for the sweatshirt, well, that's your call, but I think a nice orange one with a "Euro-trash Spoken Here" logo might work for some people.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:36 PM

There is such a variety of tourists in Paris that no one is going to notice which category you fit into--don't worry about it. But for November, take a raincoat, waterproof shoes or boots, and a sturdy umbrella.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:50 PM

I was in Paris in October 2003, and it was VERY cold that week (freezing at night and maybe 35-40F in the day). I wore every layer I had. I took a number of solid colored shirts, varying long and short and 3/4 sleeves, a single gray wool cardigan sweater that went with all of my tops. I also took jeans, a pair of khakis and a pair of black slacks. I also took a fleece jacket and a Gore-Tex rain jacket.

We're going back this September and will probably pack similarly, only take a bit more basic black since it tends not to stand out as much. Instead of my Gore-Tex, I will take my black trench instead just because it can be dressed up more and does fit in a bit better.

There's a lot of debate on this board about trying to fit in vs. not...in my humble opinion, it's more important to be comfortable both physically and with how you feel about what you're wearing and not worry too much about those around you. Most people will peg you for a tourist (and you are, so don't sweat it) and in all reality, if you're wearing "fashionable" shoes in the Louvre but miserable all day, you'll see less than if you are in comfy walking shoes, even if they are the dreaded white sneakers that so many of us find comfortable.

For me, I prefer only to try and fit in more from a "long shot" point of view --for thieves and pickpockets, I'd rather not have a beacon on my head that says "AMERICAN!" I found my NorthFace jacket was very obvious, not just because of the brand but because it was a very light color, and I found most Parisians wear a lot of black, particularly in the fall/winter months, just like us in the States.

Also, I bought a pair of black Merrells, (pardon the spelling on that) that while not very attractive compared to the super-pointy shoes the French women wore in abundance, they were very comfy for walking a lot and not as loud as a pair of sneakers. Not sure what I'm going to take this time, but the Merrells haven't been ruled out.

Have fun.

Julie

Old May 21st, 2005, 01:53 PM

Well, you won't be invited to the super exclusive cocktail parties that the Parisians hold for properly (and trendy) dressed visiting tourists - but other than that you should be okay.
Old May 21st, 2005, 01:56 PM

Be prepared for anything weather-wise. It was BITTERLY cold when we were in Paris early last December. I was prepared and regretted it.

Sometimes I just take two pairs of black jeans and just wear those with different sweaters if we're not planning a fancy dinner.

Don't worry about your clothing...just be comfortable. You see everything in Paris!

Judy

Old May 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM

Yes, let us all praise mediocrity and give applause to slobs. Here is your prize for being average ~8> .
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:36 PM

Stupid smiley faces.

Should be ~(##)8>
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:49 PM

ThinGorjus (ARE YOU REALLY?) -- I would hope you'd also be triply lucky and have something less troll-like to post.

Old May 21st, 2005, 02:54 PM

LOL, jules, after you have been here for a while,( and have read enough of Johns contributions) you will see that this is just JohnG..nothing to take personally and certainly not a Troll.
And Of Course, he is really!!
Old May 21st, 2005, 04:16 PM

Hi Photobear

I like how you are really down to earth and comfortable with yourself. I applaud your joie de vivre!

Don't worry about what to wear or if you look too touristy - be yourself.

The fact you can speak the language is a huge plus.

Have a wonderful trip.
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:29 PM

Two separate issues:

Will the fashion police haul you away? No - you do not have to wear Armani and Prada - and if you don;t mind looking like a tourist - no one else will care either. But - agree that fleece will not likely be necessary - Paris is rarely that cold in Nov. And (I - and many others) feel that super casual - sweatshirts, jeans and super huge white sneakers are just not very appropriate for adults in a world capitol (but OK for the mall). Certainly khakis and sweaters will be fine - and you don;t need a scarf if you don;t want one.

The second issue is respect for other people's culture. This applies only to the people who seem to want to wear shorts and bosom/midriff baring tees into churches etc in areas where this is considered a sign of disresprect. IMHO - if they can;t follow the rules to that extent they shouldn;t go.

(There was one couple from FL who couldn;t seem to get the concept that although everyone there may wear shorts, tees and sandals everywhere the rest of the world is not the same. They specifically asked for advice on what to wear - and then fought with everyone who gave it to them. At the end they revealed they would be in Venice, etc in winter. I hope they froze their stupid little heinies off.)
Old May 21st, 2005, 05:42 PM

>> And (I - and many others) feel that super casual - sweatshirts, jeans and super huge white sneakers are just not very appropriate for adults in a world capitol <<

Nothing personal, nytraveler, but we have discussed this topic too much?

WHO CARES!?!?!?!?

After 9/11 and the resulting drop in tourism, friends who were in Paris said EVERYONE - taxi drivers, hotel staff, wait staff, boutique staff thanked Americans for coming - AND FOR SPENDING OUR $$$ THERE.

Do we HONESTLY think anyone in Paris cares what tourists wear?

Do you (not nytraveler, but Fodorites in general) CARE what tourist in your towns wear?

If so, perhaps we are too shallow or too limited in scope.

I wore "appropriate" clothing in Paris last year, but wore JEANS, SWEATSHIRT, BALL CAP AND WHITE TENNIES for a bike trip to Giverney - and missed my train. I spent the day sight-seeing Paris in that (gasp!) attire.

I can promise you I did not perceive any differences from others from the days I wore the appropriate black EU tourist uniform.

WHO ARE WE TRYING TO "FIT IN" WITH ANYWAY?!?!?

When I'm on vacation in the US, I'm not trying to fit with the people NOT of vacation living their normal lives.

Is anyone else just over this topic!

I know, I know...just stop reading these threads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -