Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it good to visit Italy in mid August to September?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!

This is my 2nd post today. I just joined Fodors today! And hope to find good advice here for my trip planning to Italy.

Is it okay to visit Italy from 17 August to 6 September (around 20 days)? Will it be too crazy packed with tourists? I do expect certain touristy places will have lots of tourists but hope we can still find spots that are quieter for time to be just alone at times. We are fine with warmer climate; that's not too much a problem.

Please help with advice for my other post - North or South of Italy for honeymoon.
Thank you

Cheers,
Angel
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 08:45 AM

It is actually a pretty terrible time to be at the coast since these are the 2 weeks that all of Italy heads for the beach. Not only will the coastal towns be jammed, but you will pay the highest prices of the year during those two weeks.

If you can only go then, I would begin booking the beach and resort areas as soon as possible. Or better yet, skip the coast entirely.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy: skip the coast means to not go to the south and stay with the North of Italy?
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:39 PM

South in Italy will be HOT. Just be prepared.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:48 PM

Average high in Rome will be about 88 degrees or so. If you do travel during this time, I suggest that you be sure to get an air-conditioned room.

I understand that you may not have a choice as to when to travel, but when I visit Italy or Spain, I go in October. The weather is better and there are fewer tourists.

This is not to say that there are no tourists, but they tend to be older. Retired people who can travel at any time. Like me.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM

Look at it this way: any time is a good time to go to Italy, and if this is the time you can go, then you should.

Yes, it will be hot. How do you do in hot weather?

Some suggestions for other places: the lakes and the Dolomites.

Where did you hope to go?

I don't know if I'd skip any particular place, other than beach resorts, but I might choose my hotels and locations very carefully.

Go for a swimming pool. Have some shade. Make sure you get AC.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 03:15 PM

I love the Italian summertime. There are loads of free outdoor events across the country and a lovely relaxed buzz is in the air. Yes, it does get hot but be smart. Head out in the early morning, have lunch and then rest until 4 pm or so, then out you go again!

If you are choosing a hotel with a pool, be warned. You will be hit with a charge to use a sun lounger and towels. You may also be expected to 'tip' the pool guy to ensure a decent lounger is available to you. This is the thing I hate most about Capri..but the same thing happens all over the place. Maybe you could rent a villa with a pool as a base and then explore the region during your stay? Times are tough in Italy and I am sure you could get a good deal.

Francoise
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 04:53 PM

I meant to stay away from all of the coasts/beaches, not just in Campania and the rest of the south, unless you do not mind crowds and high prices.

Italians take their vacation the last two weeks in August so those two weeks will be teeming on the seashores. Big cities will be quiet, since many residents flee during vacation weeks.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Our wedding is on 11 August. I guess we can choose to go honeymoon later. Please advise when to go then if mid Aug to Sep is too packed & hot. How's the month of Sep? Or should we go in Oct? Thanks for the advice!