Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it easy to find taxi in Athens that will fit a family of five?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I know in Europe people typically drive smaller cars. Will it be hard for my family (2 adults, 3 children age 13, 10 and 4) to find taxi from Athens airport? And in general in the city, like from hotel to the port? We will have several luggage as well. And can anyone tell me the approximate price for the trip?

A taxi service with a 7 seater Limo has quoted 100 Euro each way from/to airport, and 80 Euro for port. That is a bit steep to me. Though I guess one has to pay price for the comfort and convenience.

I have no problem taking the kids on Metro once settled, but figure it would be easier to use taxi when we first arrive at the airport. Any suggestion or advice are welcome. Thank you all very much.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 06:42 AM

In Greece there are no taxis that can accomodate more than 4 passengers.
Bigger ones are not allowed by law.
If you have more luggage, there won't be any space in the trunk anyway which is why you will have to take 2 taxis.

If you take two taxis from the airport to the city centre, charge is set to 35 Euros per taxi/way.That is less than the 100 Euro that you were given for a limo.

I also find the price of 80 Euros to be extremely high, given the fact that the port ( i assume that is Piraeus and not Rafina) is much closer to the centre of Athens than the airport. Also in that case taking two taxis will cost less, even though there is no set price.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 06:46 AM

A normal taxi is not allowed to take more than 4 passengers by law in Greece. I cannot recall having ever seen a van type taxi (ie. Dodge Caravan size)in Athens but that doesn't mean they don't exist, just that I haven't seen one. Some research would be needed to see if they exist at all.

This site says if you book for 5 people, a second taxi will automatically be added.
http://www.athensinfoguide.com/taxitransfers.htm You could do a price comparison vs. the limo at least.

Bus service from the airport into the city and to the port is also available.

Even with a 7 seater van, the real problem may well be the luggage if you have a large suitcases. That is often more of a problem than the number of seats.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 06:47 AM

Huh, clausar posted while I was composing my reply. Well, that's two near identical responses.
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 07:27 AM

Well, no. The maximum number of passengers in taxis is 4 (excluding the driver). You can pay a ticket if an officer find out there are more than 4 passengers in the taxi, the law forbits it. But since you have a 4 year old child, just hold it in your lap maybe...
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 07:29 AM
WWK

As discussed above, it's not possible. But even with only four passengers, it can be impossible if you have large suitcases.

When our kids were younger, my husband and I would split up and take two cabs into Athens.

We have had very good luck with a private driver. His name is George Granas, and he can be reached at: [email protected].
He's an excellent, reliable driver, speaks fluent English and is charming to travel with.

Good luck!
Old Jan 23rd, 2014, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you clausar, dulciusexasperis and PetrosB3. Looks like we will just have to get two taxis then. We won't have too much luggage, but still 5 people traveling... Yeah, I thought 100 and 80 Euro each way are a bit too much.

And WWK, thank you for the private driver contact info. I will definitely do a comparison.
Old Oct 31st, 2016, 10:13 AM

Now things are different .You can find certified minivan taxis up to 8 persons for transfers and private tours.Try at athens9seater.gr