Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is it crazy to visit the Amalfi Coast and French Riviera in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
I'm planning a birthday trip for my husband to the Amalfi Coast (Positano) and Nice, Eze, etc. We have our tickets booked for August, but I've been reading quite a lot about how crazy it is during August when everyone is on holiday. Can someone let me know if that area is so busy during that time that it will be hard to enjoy it as well as hard to get around for day trips etc? We want nice weather, but don't want having to take twice as long to get anywhere because of the mass of people...Is it really that bad? Would early September be better if we can swing it?

Thanks!!!
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:52 AM
WWK

September would be much better. We've visited the Riveria and the AC during August, and would never do it again unless it was the only time we could go. I think all of Europe is on vacation during August, and most people head to the beaches. Also - at this late date- it could be difficult to find reasonably priced accommodations. The month of August sometimes gets booked up to a year ahead, since it is prime vacation season.
Good luck!
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 11:55 AM

If at all possible, I'd schedule the trip for September. There will be masses of people in certain popular spots, and it will take you much longer to get anywhere on some routes.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 12:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you keep the tickets you booked (and I assume purchased), where are you arriving and departing?
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 01:28 PM

And how do you plan to travel between the Cote d'Azur and Positano? The latter's not an easy place to get to.
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 03:31 PM

August is the main vacation month in europe. Unlike the US where everyone goes at different times so businesses can stay open - in europe many businesses in August close for the whole month and all employees are on vacation at the same time.

So yes, August will be very busy and local transit will be very crowded (from roads to buses to trains etc.)
Old Apr 25th, 2013, 05:12 PM

And if you want to stay near the beach, it will be challenging to find anything at this late date. Many of the accommodations are booked a year in advance.