Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is is feasible to squeeze in POMPEII on this day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking a ferry from Capri to Naples (sometime during the day) and then an overnight ferry to Cagliari, Sardegna. (doesn't leave till about 10pm)

We will have our luggage, obviously, and will need to do something with it if we want to spend time in Naples or Pompeii.
BIG QUESTION:Is there a luggage check somewhere at the ferry stop?

If so, our options would be either to

(1) spend the afternoon in Pompeii (taking the train)

or

(2) spend the afternoon in Naples

(We have never been to either and travelling in late June)

Please help -- I'm not sure what to do!!
(and i'm really worried about the luggage issue!!)

Thanks!!
dina
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There is baggage storage at Napoli Centrale train station and at the main entrance to Pompeii. I don't know if there is storage in the ferry dock area.

In June, the Pompeii excavation is open until 7:30 pm (last entry at 6:00 pm).

There are many things to see in Naples, not the least of which is the archeology museum which houses most of the artifacts found at Pompeii. The museum is open Wednesday to Sunday until 8:00 p.m.

There are more sightseeing options in Naples, but Pompeii is a unique experience. If the weather is hot and sticky, there are few refuges in Pompeii. (Likewise, if it's raining, there is little shelter in Pompeii.) If you choose to spend the time in Pompeii, I think it's overall faster to ferry to Sorrento, bus or taxi to the Sorrento train station and then Circumvesuviana to Pompeii.
Old Dec 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Why don't you ferry to Sorrento instead of Pompeii and train from Sorrento to Pompeii? Pompeii has free luggage storage at the entrance where you buy your tickets. It's an easy walk (just across the street) from the Pompeii Scavi train stop.
The info is on their web site.
www.pompeiisites.org - select Pompeii (under archaelogical sites), click visitor info, then click services on the right side and scroll to the bottom.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 05:03 AM
ira

Hi D,

I agree with ky.

Ferry to Sorrento, Circumvesuviana train to Pmpeii Scavi (luggage can be left at the entrance to the site).

C train to Naples.

No. 1 tram to the docks.

However, if that is too much hauling of luggage, ferry to Naples, tram to train station. Leave luggage. See Naples.

Have you considered an overnight in Naples? The hotel will hold your luggage until it's time to go to the ferry to Cagliani.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I never thought of ferrying to Sorrento. Great idea. Thank you!

Ira,
thanks for the very specific directions about trains and trams. I had originally about spending the night in Naples. That might solve all the problems and make our lives easier. But I read so much about not "day tripping" to Capri, I changed it to an overnight on Capri instead. In order to stay overnight in Naples now, I'd have to shorten our stay in Sardinia, and have two 1-night stays in a row, in Capri and Naples. (3 including the overnight ferry to Sardinia).

I'll have to talk to the family and see if they prefer Naples or Pompeii, and how they feel about hauling luggage.

We've always rented cars in Europe, so this will be our first experience with train travel. Maybe that's what also makes me a bit nervous...

Jean,
thank you for posting the hours of the two main sites, and for bringing up the weather issue! Very helpful information.

bourbon,
it's great to know we can also leave our luggage right at the entrance to pompeii. thanks!

Old Dec 25th, 2007, 09:23 AM

dina4, I may get blasted for saying this, but I'd do Naples in this situation. However, bear in mine I like my old ruins in moderation, and dislike one night stays.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

hi degas,

i assume you mean do the overnight in naples and capri? (which is why others would blast you)

but you might be right -- staying overnight in naples would certainly make things a lot easier.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 11:48 AM

din4, lots of folks hate Naples, but it has some interesting stuff to see and do. Pompeii is unique and special, but hot and/or rainy weather may tempt you to take it off the list for that go around.
Old Dec 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM

You probably shouldn't count on it, but we were able to leave our luggage in Naples at the ticket office for the ferry we were taking at the end of the day, to enable us to wander around Naples without the luggage.

Len